CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1338612
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1338612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:19:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Etherley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16519 28315

Details

ETHERLEY CHURCH STREET NZ 12 NE (West side) High Etherley 5/11 Church of St. Cuthbert

GV II

Parish church. 1832, probably by William Ramshaw, for Bishop van Mildert; restored, and chancel rebuilt, 1866-7 by J. Ross of Darlington. Thin courses of squared sandstone rubble; chancel pecked coursed squared sandstone; ashlar dressings and plinth. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with west tower; chancel with north vestry and organ chamber. Chancel Decorated style. 2-stage tower has Tudor-arched south door, with studded battens, in double-chamfered surround under dripmould; arms of Bishop van Mildert above; round-headed double-chamfered belfry louvre over clock in second stage; corbelled flat-coped parapet. 2-bay nave has label moulds over tall windows with 2 round- headed lights; similar west window. Decorated tracery in 2-centred-arched windows of 2-bay chancel, and 3-light east window; head-stopped dripmoulds. Coped buttresses with offsets define bays; angle buttresses at east and to first stage of tower. Steeply-pitched chancel roof with moulded kneelers and stone cross finials; tower has tall wind vane of scrolled wrought iron.

Interior: painted plaster with boarded dado; ashlar dressings in chancel; low-pitched panelled nave roof on bracketed tie beams; panelled chancel roof on large leaf and angel corbels; panelled tower ceiling. Head-stopped dripmould over 2-centred chamfered chancel arch without capitals; naturalistic capitals and corbels on shafts in inner arch; foliage-stopped dripmould over organ arch to north of chancel arch; wide organ arch and shouldered vestry door in chancel. Chamfered round tower arch. Stone-flagged floors in square-and-diamond pattern, and some tiles in same style, at west end; Gothic-style tiled floor in chancel. 1867 panelled pews with shaped ends; poppyheads on choir stalls. Side altar from St. Luke's, Darlington, with reredos re-using C17 panelling from Brancepeth church. Glass includes 1979 west window by Septimus Waugh; chancel windows commemorate Henry Stobart, coalowner, died 1866. Octagonal stone font gift from Bishop Thorpe.

Source: P. Kilmister, Etherley Parish Church. St. Cuthbert, 1982.

Listing NGR: NZ1651928315

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111376
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kilminster, P , Etherley Parish Church St Cuthbert, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16224/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].