This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1339594



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sherborne St. John

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139057

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 65 NW 5/68 26.4.57

SHERBORNE ST JOHN Church of St Andrew


Circa 1150, C13, C14, C16, C19. Norman nave, chancel of 1300 with windows (replacements of lancets) of about 1340, Brocas Chapel on north side of chancel of 1420, north aisle of 1834 (with re-used C15 windows), west tower of about 1250 raised/restored 1834, south porch of 1533. Between the chancel and chapel is an altar tomb with 2 carved figures (of about 1535) beneath a 4-centred panelled archway. The chapel is richl y furnished with floor slabs, several C15 brasses, an east window fitted with stained glass of different periods and origin, and a metal helm. There are several wall monuments, hatchments and large Royal Coat of Arms of 1660. The pulpit is dated 1634 and has a tester. The font is original, having a square bowl on a circular shaft and 4 corner shafts, with a C17 cover. King-post roof. Externally, the church has a tile roof, the eaves being raised in the C14. Walling is flint with some plasterwork, and stone dressings, the porch being of red brickwork in English bond with a Tudor doorway. Windows are mostly of 2 lights, cusped or with tracery (one reticulated), the upper parts being original. The tower has fine stone ashlar features of the restoration period, with the upper parts of the diagonal buttresses carried out in red brickwork, the restored spire being topped with a golden ball.

Listing NGR: SU6271556115

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 62358 55565


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339594 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 11:01:35.

End of official listing