This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1339600



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Silchester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139082

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 66 SW SILCHESTER CALLEVA 1/21 26.4.57 Church of St Mary


C12 to C17, all periods. Once a Norman nave, but altered by a north aisle of the early C13,and a south aisle of the mid C14; long chancel of the early C13, north and south porches, timber-framed bell turret. The chancel has lancets, with a Perpendicular east window, and a lat er window on the north and south sides. The north aisle had coupled lights, 2 arches with a round column with cushion caps, and a north door. The south aisle also has 2 arches; there is a recessed wall tomb with an ogee cusped arch, and a large 3-light reticulated windows. The massive timbers supporting the belfry occupy the western half of the nave and there is a C14 reticulated west window. The furnishings include a C15 wooden screen with pierced cresting, a hexagonal pulpit of 1639 with a domed tester, several wall monuments (1732, 1757, 1769), a large hatchment, a record of gifts of 1774, a set of painted Prescriptions, a C14 octagonal font, a female effigy (possibly of Margaret de Cusancia, died 1300), and several sections of medieval wall painting (mainly of masonry markings) on the eastern walls and deep reveals of the chancel. The exterior has tile roofing, the south aisle having a separate ridge but the north aisle is covered by a catslide from the nave. Walling of flint (partly plastered) with stone dressings, and later buttresses (2 being massive brick structures at the west end). Single broach spire on shingled bell chamber. Gabled porches.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 64341 62366


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 03:36:12.

End of official listing