CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1340100
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340100.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 22:29:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Sudeley
National Grid Reference:
SP 03389 24280

Details

SUDELEY CHARLTON ABBOTTS SP 02 SW 8/153 Church of St Martin 4.7.60 II Parish church. C13, possibly C17, largely rebuilt 1887, vestry 1933. Well-squared, coursed stone, stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, vestry. South facade: plinth, buttress to left, lancet window. Single-storey porch, no plinth, semi-circular headed opening, chamfered arris, wrought-iron gate, parapet gable: inside similar opening with boarded door. To right paired lancets with semi-circular heads under elliptical relieving arch, wide buttress east end, plain, oversailing stone eaves. Parapet gables, left with bellcote, semi-circular head to opening, gable over with trefoiled gablets at foot, north and south, cross-gablet apex with iron cross finial. Stone cross east gable. Chancel slightly lower, plinth and eaves as rear, lancet window, angled corner buttress: parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with stone cross. East end, 3 adjoining lancets with continuous hoodmould. North facade, chancel as south; buttress to nave, plinth and eaves as south, paired lancets with elliptical relieving arch; projecting vestry, plinth, 3-light mullioned window left return, eaves as rear, parapet gable: chimney. Buttress to west end nave beyond. Round- headed window to west wall. Interior: nave, single arches over paired windows, door to vestry cut through former window. Internal plinth to west wall. Chancel arch pointed, moulded caps and bases to responds. Rafter roof with high collars. Chancel, reused C13 responds and trefoil heads to inside north and south windows: 2 aumbries. Lights to east window framed by attached columns, moulded arches over with hoodmould, carved stops. Pulpit wooden, semi-octagonal with panelled sides. C13 tub font on clustered column base. Two early C19 marble wall monuments; Decalogue on 2 boards on west wall. West wall probably C13, but gable raised 1887; porch may be C17. Church ruinous C18. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0338924280

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134939
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11517/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].