Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1340136

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960



Ordnance survey map of SUDELEY CASTLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 09:54:22.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Sudeley

National Grid Reference: SP 03179 27665


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SUDELEY - SP 0227-0327 14/144 Sudeley Castle, Church of St Mary 4.7.60 GV I Parish Church. Circa 1460 for Ralph Boteler, late C15 or early C16 north aisle, restored 1859-'63 by Sir G.G. Scott for J.C. Dent. Well coursed, squared stone, lead roof. Five-bay nave and chancel structurally in one, 3-bay north aisle, western bell turret. West end, double plinth, angled buttresses, boarded central doorway, 4- centred arch, crocketed hoodmould; string course. Three-light Perpendicular window, crocketed hoodmould, with each side a statue in ogee-headed niche with tall finial. Above, string course, crenellated parapet each side of square bell turret, slightly corbelled at front on west side; 2-light louvred window, string course, corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet with corner finials, iron weathervane. South face, angled buttresses each end, plinth, 4 square-set buttresses, string course at sill level, changed to dripmould for former low roof in fourth bay: bottom of buttress in that bay forms jamb of door, blocked doorway and 4-light squint under cambered arch to right below dripmould. Above, five 3-light Perpendicular windows, hoodmoulds with carved-head stops, string course, grotesques on buttresses; buttresses changing to diamond- set above, rising into tall, crocketed finials; crenellated parapet. East wall dripmould for roof to demolished vestry in place of string course: blocked doorway on left. Above, 5-light Perpendicular window, hoodmould and carved-head stops; string course and crenellations follow line of low-pitch roof, short apex finial. On right end of low aisle, plinth, 3-light mullion window, angled corner buttress, string course and crenellated parapet over. North wall: low aisle 3 bays, plinth, angled corner buttresses, two 2-light mullioned windows with buttress and wide projection between: crenellated parapet, finials missing. Boarded door on right return, moulded arris, 4-centred arch, hoodmould, with finial above string course. To right plinth, string course and buttress on south side, inserted boarded door in last bay, sunk spandrels, moulded surround. Windows and parapet above string course as south side. Interior: ashlar walls, marble floor, stone piers to carry turret, nave and chancel in one. Chancel screen 4 bays each side central opening, cusped ogee heads, heavily carved. Three sedilia on south side, nodding ogee heads, high crocketed finials over; similar piscina. Carved marble reredos with part marquetry finish. Two arches north side of chancel to aisle, door to nave. Moulded beams to roof. Openwork octagonal wooden pulpit, Decorated tracery, 2 brass candle holders, since electrified. Octagonal marble font, carved sides to bowl, clustered pillar stem. Choir stalls returned against screen, carved misericords, brass-book rest to front seats. Memorial in chancel to Katherine Parr, effigy by J.B. Philip on marble chest tomb, quatrefoils to sides, under foiled, 4-centred arch, crocketed above, swept up to poppyhead finial: marble pillars either side with statues under niche heads, finials over. Stained glass by Preedy. Building fell into decay C18. Exterior essentially C15/C16; interior nearly all 1859ff by Sir G.G. Scott: fine example of his work. Katherine Parr buried in church. (S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779; papers at Sudeley Castle; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0318127669


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 134930

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Rudder, S, A New History of Gloucestershire, (1779)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

End of official listing