Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341787.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 12:41:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cotswold (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 00405 13412



4/30 Church of St. James



Parish church. C12 with C15 tower and chancel; largely rebuilt 1851-53 by David Brandon for H. J. Elwes of Colesbourne Park. Random rubble limestone with ashlar tower; stone slate roof. Nave with north and south transept; west tower; south porch; and chancel. C14 porch with moulded arch, buttresses and parapet gable; C13 south doorway with hood moulding and decorated labels. One square-headed C15 2-light nave window to left of porch with simple rectilinear tracery head and hood moulding; on north side another similar 2-light, and remains of blocked C12 window; otherwise masonry much rebuilt. C14 south transept with 3-light south window, and 2-light to east with reticulated tracery. North transept is C19 rebuild to match the south. C15 chancel, rebuilt C19; early C20 east window with geometrical tracery; below, set into the wall, a glazed tile from the reign of Edward II depicting the crucifixion; 2 small square-headed 2-light windows in south wall. Two-stage tower with 2-light west window, diagonal buttresses to lower stage only, and square stair turret projecting on south side; 2-light belfry windows, screens pierced with quartrefoils. Crenellated parapet with moulded string course below; diagonal animal gargoyles at each corner; small crocketed corner pinnacles. Interior restored in C19. 4-bay nave roof with collar and arched braced trusses supported on follated stone corbels; decorative struts forming 3-light opening above collar; plain painted walls; pointed chancel arch on restored C12 square piers with scalloped capitals; C15 tower arch; simple moulded pointed arches to transepts. South transept has wagon roof with brattished wall plates; trefoil-headed piscina in south wall. North transept has C19 wagon roof to match that in south; squint passage into chancel; elaborate C19 memorial to Susan Elwes on west wall. C19 wagon roof in chancel; many memorial plaques to the Elwes family on north wall. Octagonal stone C15 wine-glass pulpit to south of chancel arch on tall narrow octagonal stem; 2 panels each trefoil-headed to each face, one of which is pierced; entered up stone steps from chancel. Octagonal stone C15 font in nave, on octagonal bracketed pedestal with shield decoration; one quartrefoil panel to each face; wooden cover. The stained glass to most windows dates from 1854 and is by Thomas Willement; the north transept window is by Wailes, the east window dating from 1915. Stands in the grounds of Colesbourne Park. (D.Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP0040513412


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00443/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Purnell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].