PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1341839
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341839.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:53:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Amwell
National Grid Reference:
TL 37182 12508

Details

GREAT AMWELL ST JOHNS LANE TL 3712 (south side) Great Amwell village 12/14 Parish Church of St John the Baptist 24.1.67

GV II*

Church. Cll rectangular nave and smaller apsidal chancel, C15 W- tower, N-vestry 1836, restoration 1866 for Rev. Richard Parrott. Uncoursed knapped flint with stone dressings. Chancel part- rendered. Red tile roofs with cut-back gable and lower tiling over E-apse. Red brick vestry with gabled tiled roof. Taller small heating chamber flint-faced in angle with nave. Stumpy octagonal tiled spire behind battlements of buttressed 3-stage tower. Original Norman low round headed chancel arch of 2 stepped orders on simple imposts, flanked by later squints. Original window on N wall of chancel. Other windows Lancet and Perp.. Triple E-window inserted 1856. Original C15 traceried W- door and tower arch. C15 crown-post roof to chancel exposed. Recess for road-stair next Jacobean pulpit said to be a 3-decker from Croydon Palace presented by Robert Mylne and cut down in 1866 restoration. Early C19 wall monument by Hopper. 5-bay arch-braced timber roof to nave from C19. W window by Kempe. C14 and C15 brasses. A small church of great antiquity retaining its Norman apse, found in only 2 other churches in county, and features of outstanding interest. An essential landmark in this hillside village and an important element in the landscaped setting of The New River to the N. (RCHM (1911) 93, 95: VCH (1912) 418: Pevsner (1977) 150: Mylne (1973) 1-5).

Listing NGR: TL3718212508

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355876
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 418
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 150
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06020/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].