EAST BANQUETTING HOUSE OF OLD CAMPDEN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1341980

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: EAST BANQUETTING HOUSE OF OLD CAMPDEN HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST BANQUETTING HOUSE OF OLD CAMPDEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:05:13.

Location

Statutory Address: EAST BANQUETTING HOUSE OF OLD CAMPDEN HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Chipping Campden

National Grid Reference: SP 15549 39350

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5224 CHURCH STREET (east side) East Banquetting House of Old Campden House (formerly listed as East Pavilion to Old Campden Manor) SP 1539 6/66 25.8.60

II* GV

2. Between 1612 and 1627. For Sir John Baptist Hicks. One of a pair flanking Old Campden House. Similar fretted Flemish-inspired Baroque. Fine quality ashlar with Cotswold stone roof. Main storey is to grand terrace, 2 storeys below, the lower one vaulted. Pierced strapwork parapet and corner pinnacles with strapwork panels and spiral chimney columns with cut-finials. Cut finials to saddle-stones. Five bays, arcaded (part blocked) with jewel-motif imposts, centre larger with original panelled door having radial panelling in the tympanum. The side arcades had flat balustrades (blocked). Steps up to small stone balustraded balcony on north side. Perpendicular-inspired windows to north, and east sides of main floor, 3 light mullioned windows with continuous string to lower floors. Two stepped buttresses to north.Tudor arch doorways. Partly restored circa 1900, but in poor condition at time of resurvey. A rare and important survival of early C17 country house life and of this exurberant style of architecture.

Listing NGR: SP1554939350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 126115

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing