ST PANCRAS STATION AND FORMER MIDLAND GRAND HOTEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- ST PANCRAS STATION AND FORMER MIDLAND GRAND HOTEL, EUSTON ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342037.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 22:41:35.
- Statutory Address:
- ST PANCRAS STATION AND FORMER MIDLAND GRAND HOTEL, EUSTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Greater London Authority
- Camden (London Borough)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 30107 82977
TQ3082NW EUSTON ROAD 798-1/90/421 (North side) 07/11/67 St Pancras Station and former Midland Grand Hotel (Formerly Listed as: EUSTON ROAD St Pancras Station (incl. train shed, Chambers & ancillary buildings)
Railway terminus and hotel, comprising train shed, terminus facilities and offices, ancillary buildings, taxi stand, warehousing: including substructure and storage areas to sides and rear, and structures to the forecourt. Station, 1865-1869; former Midland Grand Hotel, 1868-76, both by George Gilbert Scott. Train shed, 1865-8 by William Henry Barlow (engineer). Deep red Gripper's patent Nottingham bricks with Ancaster stone dressings and shafts of grey and red Peterhead granite; slated roofs renewed in 1994 in carefully diminishing courses. STYLE: monumental, picturesquely composed Gothic Revival building of 23 windows flanked by towers and a curved 10 window wing to the west. EXTERIOR: 4 main storeys with 2 extra storeys in the roof lit by stacks of gabled dormers. Station entered through 2 pointed, vaulted vehicle arches, flanked by pedestrian arches, one in the left hand tower and one to the right. Arches with recessed, elaborately patterned cast-iron pedestrian footbridges with cast-iron plate tracery windows on foliated cast-iron brackets. Hotel facade with round-arched ground floor openings linked by impost bands; 2nd floor, pointed 2-light windows with plate tracery & colonnettes; 3rd floor, cusped with colonnettes; 4th floor, arcaded windows of 3 lights. Articulated vertically and horizontally with strings and with much elaborate carving. Lombard frieze below balustraded parapet. Western curve similar to south elevation of west range, that nearest Euston Road with elaborate stepped gable over right hand entrance bay with similar gable. South-east tower with 2-storey oriel, gabled clocks on each face with pinnacles at each corner and spire. Left hand tower, 3 storeys of elaborately arcaded windows above the entrance with Lombard friezes and bartizans with spires at angles. Mansard roof with gabled windows to the south; other sides with gables and chimneys. Main hotel entrance on end of curve to Euston Road; arcaded porte-cochere above which 3 cusped arches with small gabled roofs. Carved, stepped gable above balustraded parapet flanked by turrets with spires and gables over pointed windows. West return elevation along Midland Road: first 3 bays reproduce elevation found on principal facade. After the first three bays of the return, the long elevation angles back to follow the line of Midland Road with 8-window range followed by a full height stepped gabled range marking the line of the grand staircase. Former entrance from Midland Road simplified: on first floor level above three segmental arches filled with traceried windows; above this rising nearly to the top of the gable is tripartite light with stone tracery. This system of fenestration continues for one bay to the north at which point the elevation begins to step down towards the ancillary railway buildings to the north. 4 storeys over basement terminating in a corbelled parapet, a total of 6 window ranges comprised of 2 and 3-light double-height windows. 3-storey polygonal wing set between 2 storey blocks, that block to the right having one window range and that to the left with 3-window range. St Pancras Station is unusual in retaining a good deal of its related former warehousing facilities. These are concentrated to the north of the Hotel along Midland Road and Pancras Road, located at and below track level. Although the elevation to Midland Road is quite varied, a consistent feature is the pointed blind arcade to ground floor. Towards the Euston Road end there is a set-back which also has blind pointed arcade; this section runs for roughly 11 bays of the arched ground-floor structure. More elaborate 2-storey structure of 8 window range with a flat arched opening for vehicles consisting of a wrought-iron lintel set in the fifth window range. To either side of this entrance the pointed blinded arcade previously noted is continued. Continuing north along Midland Road, there is another carriageway entrance: a pointed arch with wooden doors and hinges of original design. There follows railway arches Nos 17 through 25. To the first floor of this range is a blind pointed arch arcade. Railway arches 14, 15 and 16 have been rebuilt. Railway arches 4 through 9 have received a first-floor brick addition. Pancras Road elevation to the east. Hotel elevation: the design of the main elevation continues for 5 window ranges along the return, concluding in an octagonal turret. On the east flank of the train shed a 2-storey structure with a lean-to roof, numbering Nos 9-91 Pancras Road. It is roofed in slate and on alternate bays there are stacks. This structure has a 45-window range. At the north it curves slightly. The elevation of every bay is identical: on the ground floor a pointed segmental arch carried on plain piers rebated to accommodate attached columns. Above is a pointed arched window set in a shallow pointed recess; all of the openings and recesses linked by a carved impost. Many of the original shopfronts to the railway arches survive intact. Also surviving are carriageway arches to storage vaults under the station, originally for Burton beer; these have double wooden doors with original ironwork, grilles and hinges. North of No.91, the elevation steps up to a tower with a blind arcade near the top. The substructure of the station continues northwards to the first railway bridge. The ground floor being articulated into bays pierced by pointed arches. This arrangement continues to No.111. There is an additional blind arch, formerly a carriageway, north of this. There are 4 rectangular chimneys on the parapet line of Nos 93 to 111. The original shopfronts have been altered, though the structure itself is intact. Drinking fountain comprising gabled stone block with granite eared and shouldered inscribed aedicule having a semicircular basin. Station approached by dramatic ramp rising from the western end with arcaded retaining wall having inset shops. Ramp gained by steps from the eastern end with pair of original iron gates at the foot and bollards. 25-bay train shed a single 240 foot span in cast-iron arched braces manufactured by the Butterley Iron Company (dated 1867) and tied together by the floor girders of the station floor which is effectively at 1st floor level. Ribs in the form of pointed arches and whole structure supported under the platform floor by a grid of iron columns; the structure of the space was determined by the module of the Burton beer barrel. Screen wall between concourse and hotel with pointed arch, plate traceried windows which continue along the sides of the shed at the southern end. INTERIORS: booking hall: rectangular in plan and having 6 bays and double height. Linenfold panelling to ground floor level dates to the 1880s as does the curving wood screen of the ticket office. Elaborately carved corbels to serving as springers for former vaulting. The elevations of the booking hall on north, south, east and west intact, that of greatest interest to the east since it features 2 double-height, glazed pointed arches with mullions and transoms: the glazing pattern of original design; this forms a screen wall between the booking hall and the platform. To west, decorative cast-iron glazed canopy to taxi rank, narrow exit under arch to Midland Road (qv). At east of concourse, Ladies' lavatories with tiling and early C20 fittings. Former hotel: painted decoration begun late in 1872 by Frederick Sang at the suggestion of Scott; in December of 1873 Sang was replaced by Gillow and Co., who were also supplying the furniture and fittings to the Hotel. Andrew Benjamin Donaldson, a painter, oversaw the completion of the interior decorations for Gillow and himself painted the figures at the top of the grand staircase in 1876-77. By the summer of 1877 the interiors were largely complete. The interiors were redecorated when electric light was installed between 1885 and 1889, the overseeing architects being Trubshaw and Towles. This affected most of the principal public rooms; the entrance hall from Euston Road and the lounge above did retain the painted decoration from the first half of the 1870s. The 500-bedroomed hotel closed in 1935 and was used as offices but has retained many original features, fixings and fittings including tiles in fine ecclesiastical Gothic and Queen Anne Revival styles. There are several interiors of exceptional architectural interest. The entrance hall of Euston Road in the west wing and the ladies' saloon above are said to have been decorated by F Sang. Saloon with arcaded paired columns, trabeated ceilings and other decorations, with balcony over entrance. The Grand Staircase, also in the west wing, is of stone supported on exposed and decorated cast-iron. It is set in a rib-vaulted well, the spandrels to the vaults filled with paintings of the virtues dressed in medieval and classicising garb with the spandrel to the east depicting the arms of the Midland Railway (being consolidated and restored at time of inspection in September 1994). The Coffee Room on the ground floor of the west wing has a crescent-shaped, square-ended plan. It was altered with an overlay of Classical ornament in the late C19 or possibly early C20, but many of the original elements survive, the cornices and ceilings protected behind later partitioning and false ceilings. Main staircase the most dramatic space, the stone treads supported on exposed and expressed cast-iron beams. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Pancras was the terminus of the Midland Railway and when built was the largest station roof in the world without internal supports. In terms of both architecture and engineering, it has claim to be Britain's most impressive station. Dramatic roof line with gables and spires forms an important landmark. (Hunter M and Thorne R: Change at King's Cross: London: -1990: 65-74).
Listing NGR: TQ2980782564
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hunter, M, Thorne, R, Change at Kings Cross, (1990), 65-74
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing