CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342291.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 15:12:33.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
- Stow Bardolph
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 62840 05645
TF 60 NW STOW BARDOLPH
8/17 Church of Holy Trinity 8.7.59
Parish church. C12 base of west tower, some C13 work, Hare chapel 1591- 1624, nave and chancel virtually rebuilt by Raphael Brandon during 1848- 50 restoration when chancel aisle added. Carstone and brick with flint and ashlar dressings. 3 stage tower with heavy diagonal west buttresses of brick of 1589. Renewed C12 lancets to first and second stage on north and south, one 2-light Decorated window to west C19. Clock face to north of 1870. Top stage 1501-3 with 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows and crenellated parapet. To west of steeply pitched gabled north porch one renewed C12 lancet. Nave windows all 2-light in various Decorated styles. Lean-to chancel south aisle similar. 3-light east window of spherical triangle design, the triangles filled by Kentish tracery. Abutting north chancel is Hare chapel, of brick, full height : 2 bays divided by 3 stepped buttresses with 3-light Perpendicular panel traceried windows. East window has transom. Arched west door below inscription plaque bearing Hare arms and date 1624. Moulded string course below crenellated north parapet. Gabled roof. This structure entirely Gothic in feeling for so late a date. Interior. Semi- circular flat Norman tower arch with responds. Deep interior splays to tower lancets. Scissor braced and panelled nave roof. C20 font and cover. C20 screen. Excellent carved and painted Royal Arms over south door to Charles II. Chancel roof as nave. 2 bench ends in chancel are C15 : on north a hare grips arms of Hare family; on south a hind supported arms of Bishop Hind (mutilated). C13 stepped sedilia in chancel with arches on colonnettes, continuous with double piscina and arched light into vestry, in character all now 1850. Vestry partitioned from organ by fragment of late C17 panelling with strapwork top rail and palmettes to door hung on H hinges. Hare chapel opens to north chapel through wide arch and door. Hare chapel interior. Steeply pitched arch braced roof with moulded butt purlins, collar and ridge pieces. Arched braces drop to corbels also supporting wall posts. Monuments(in clockwise direction). Mary Hare by M. Daniell 1801. Wall monument in white marble. Neo-classical figure of deceased leaning on urn against grey ground. Sarah Hare 1744. Coloured wax effigy half figure in contemporary dress within cupboard which closes completely. Cupboard with fluted ionic clasping pilasters leading to inscription plate and pediment. Sir Thomas Hare 1693. Sarcophagus with gadrooned cornice supports reclining white marble effigy of deceased dressed in Roman armour. 2 cherubs under cornice bear coat of arms. Wall monument above Sir Thomas to Hugo Hare 1619. Black marble tablet with inscription flanked by modified Doric pilasters standing on apron containing cherub and 2 console brackets. Cornice supports 2 obelisks and central achievement. To right unidentified wall monument 1597. Black marble inscription tablet with painted strapwork border flanked by free-standing Corinthian columns. Console brackets support columns and flank inscribed black marble predella. Scrolled apron below. Moulded cornice supports 2 obelisks and central achievement. Monument to Susannah Hare 1741 by Peter Scheemakers in white and grey marble. Altar pedestal bearing inscription upon which is effigy of Susannah semi-reclining in loose draperies. Fluted Corinthian pilasters lead to architrave below which are 2 cherubs in high relief emerging from clouds. Open pediment broken forward contains achievement, and behind stand 2 urns. Pedestal monument to Sir Randulph Hare 1623 of alabaster and marble. Tomb chest in 2 bays divided by pilasters containing coats of arms within strapwork surround. Canopy stands on unfluted Corinthian columns with coffered ceiling, the coffers with painted roses. Cornice studded with roses and heavily moulded. 2 obelisks flank elaborate strapwork achievement on scrolled plinth. Beneath canopy is central black inscribed tabled with painted strap- work border depicting fruit, hourglasses, helmets and non-figurative designs of highest quality. Monuments within Hare chapel of National importance.
Listing NGR: TF6284005645
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing