Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342317.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 04:20:35.


Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 69311 30386


TF 63 SE DERSINGHAM MANOR ROAD (east) CHURCH LANE (west) 4/4 Church of St. Nicholas. 5.6.53

- I

Parish church. C14 and C15. Carstone, stone dressings, leaded aisle roofs, slated nave and chancel. West tower, nave and aisles with clerestorey and south porch, chancel. Of two major builds, the chancel and nave arcade of early C14. Decorated nave clerestorey, aisles and west tower early Perpendicular of c.1370. West tower of 3 stages, rectangular on plan with moulded plinth of stone, 5-light west window, north and south sides with single lancets, 4 3-light belfry windows, all Perpendicular. North- west and south-west buttresses, stone dressed and quoined with 4 set- offs, north and south buttresses on east face, dressed stone battlemented parapet with spout heads to each face, 4 C19 standing angels at corners. At north-east corner a buttressed rectangular stairs tower projection. 6 bay nave and aisles. South aisle with 4 Perpendicular 3-light south windows and 3-light east and west windows. Mid-late C19 south porch, 2 angle buttresses with 2 set-offs at corners. 6 3-light Perpendicular clerestorey windows. Sanctus bell-cote and niche over nave east gable. North aisle 6 bays with corner set-off buttress at north west, 5 square set buttresses to north face. 3-light Perpendicular west window, north- west bay blank, reset Decorated north door in next bay, 3 3-light Perpend- icular north windows, late C19 additional bay at north east with reused tracery window as vestry. Fine Decorated chancel of 3 bays with 3 2-light Decorated south windows, 2 with Reticulated tracery, one with simpler "Y" tracery with trefoils and quatrefoil. South priest's door. At junction with nave a rectangular traceried panel with 4 quatrefoils, possibly for external access to sanctus bell above. Fine 5-light Decorated recticulated tracery east window, all chancel windows have external hood moulds and head-stops. Interior: 6 bay Decorated nave has octagonal piers with 8 concave flutes with traceried heads, octagonal bases and capitals, hood moulds and corbel head stops. Clerestorey above is Perpendicular. C19 arched braced hammerbeam roof, probably of the £6000 1877-1879 restoration. Decorated tower arch. C14 octagonal stone font with paired blank traceried arches, wooden font cover with C17 pattern turned balusters supporting medieval stage with crocketed spirelets, all heavily restored 1914. Re-used bench ends. Fine Decorated chancel arch with head stops, all chancel windows with internal arches and head stops. Fine Decorated piscina and sedilia under one common straight hood mould; with stops, detached shafts with bases and heads with foliage decoration, 4 cinquefoil arches, trefoils in spandrels, deeply-cut details. 7-light Perpendicular rood screen late C14 with figures surviving on north side only : S. Agatha, S. Denys, S. Agnes, S. Hubert, S. Martha and a coped and mitred bishop, perhaps Simon of Sudbury (obit 1381) Archbishop of Canterbury. Chancel north side has early C17 classical table tomb monument of the Peel family. Chancel south side had good C18 wall monuments. South aisle east end has deep squint looking into chancel and on south side a good C14 Decorated ogee framed cinquefoil headed piscina with credence shelf surviving. See W.P. Tippen, A Short History of St. Nicholas Church, Dersingham, Norfolk (Ramsgate 1958).

Listing NGR: TF6931130386


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Tippen, W P , A Short History of St Nicholas Church Dersingham Norfolk, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03146/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].