CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342364
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HYTHE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:55:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HYTHE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Feltwell
National Grid Reference:
TL 71256 90890

Details

FELTWELL HYTHE ROAD TL 7190 22/2 Church of St. Nicholas 8.7.59 - I Redundant parish church. Remains of C12 west tower (collapsed 1898), C13 nave rebuilt C15. Aisles and early C16 south porch. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Circular tower largely ferruginous conglomerate and survives to first stage. 2-light west window of south aisle dates from 1830 restoration. Gabled brick south porch with diagonal buttresses, 4-centred doorway of continuous double hollow and roll mouldings. Hood mould on labels. Blocked square-headed side windows. Renewed 2-light south aisle and east windows of reticulated type. Clerestory of faced flint. 3 2-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches with hoods on labels and brick relieving arches. Between windows are flushwork panels with the following designs and letters : double quatrefoil; crowned letter S; letter D; crowned letter T; crowned letter D; chequerwork. East wall built on demolition of chancel in 1862 and pierced by reset 3-light Perpendicular window. Perpendicular 2-light east window of north aisle and one 3-light north window beside buttress. Arched north door below church wardens' plaque dated 1830. 3 north clerestory windows as south but without embellishment or use of faced flint. Interior. South porch roof of 3 pairs moulded principals on carved arched braces. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. 3 bay arcade, that to south C13 : quatrefoil piers with keels on waterholding bases and moulded capitals support double chamfered arches. North arcade C15 : lozenge section piers with chamfers on moulded bases and capitals supporting double chamfered arches. Semi-circular C12 tower arch with flat responds and one order shafts with block capitals. Clerestory windows over apexes of arches. King post roof 1898. Cinquefoiled piscina in south aisle. At east end of north arcade is a reset polygonal shaft of C12 decorated with chevrons and with capitals of early, vestigial, waterleaf.

Listing NGR: TL7125690890

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221745
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15853/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].