CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342382
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342382.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:10:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
East Winch
National Grid Reference:
TF 69094 16257

Details

EAST WINCH CHURCH LANE TF 61 NE 5/11 Church of All Saints 15-8-60 II* Parish church, C14 and C15. Restored 1878 by Sir Gilbert Scott; carstone rubble part rendered, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, organ bay. 3-stage embattled tower with some iron conglomerate at base and to west return of south aisle; stepped angle buttress to north-west; stair turret to south-west angle in form of wide diagonal buttress with diagonal buttresses, turret parapet with ashlar panelling; pinnacles to parapet angles. Wide west doorway with 4-centred arch and figure stops; 3-light west window part renewed breaking string course, central light with panel tracery, flanking light with quatrefoils; 2nd stage with small narrow trefoil headed lights, string course; 3rd stage with clock faces of 1908 to east and west, bell openings of 2 cusped lights under a quatrefoil. Nave of mid C15 built at expense of Elizabeth Howard: north and south clerestoreys each with 4 2-light openings having super transoms and panel tracery; gable parapet to nave with medieval stone bellcote, gable with opening as to clerestorey. North and south aisles both with lead roofs, diagonal buttresses, 3 buttresses, 3 3-light openings with panel tracery, brick and flint voussoirs, west windows to aisles as to clerestorey. Grotesque stops to south aisle hood moulds, scratch dial to central buttress; north doorway as south but with rebated hood mould, doorway blocked. C15 south porch of brick, high gable parapet with head of 8-rayed cross, shaped brick kneelers, diagonal buttresses; south facade with flint flushwork, tall 4-centred arch in brick with continuous mouldings, niche and stone sundial above; returns with some carstone, 3-light openings in brick under 4-centred arch, cusp-headed lights with panel tracery and supermullions above, lower part of lights blocked; C19 roof to porch; brick capped wall benches; south doorway part renewed, continuous moulding to equilateral arch, episcopal head stop to right. C15 door with some muntins and boards renewed, box braced and nailed to rear with wooden lock and bar. Organ bay attached to east of south aisle in uncoursed carstone rubble by Sir Gilbert Scott on site of Howard Chapel. Chancel: diagonal buttresses; mid C19 east window of five lights of even height with two super transoms, carstone head to openings, lower jambs of alternate brick and flint. South chancel with some limestone and some galletted carstone; 4-centred arch to priest's doorway; 3-light opening with panel tracery. North chancel with 2 buttresses, 2 3-light openings with panel tracery as to aisles, one within blocked archway to former north chapel. Interior: 4 bay arcade north and south, mid C15, clustered piers with double chamfered arches, the outer being hollow, the inner with roll chamfer; figure stops to arcade hood. nave roof supported by stone angle corbels on slender colonettes, hammerbeam roof of 1878. South aisle with C15 braced roof having moulded principal beams and traceried spandrels. Tall tower arch with bowtell jambs; C15 tower roof of ties braced from figure corbels. Tall chancel arch with jambs as nave piers, figure stops, C15 double frame chancel roof with moulded purlins, restored 1878. Wall posts from stone corbels renewed 1878. Remnants of double chamfered C14 arch with polygonal piers and low imposts to former north chapel, similar arch to organ bay to south of 1878. C14 octagonal font, the gift of the Howard family, 5 faces with foliage, one with Howard arms, one a shield with cross, one blank shield; octagonal font cover with crockets and concave sides having heraldic painting by Sir Ninian Comper, a copy of C17 illustration of original cover. Large wineglass pulpit of 1876 in burr elm. C18 Hanoverian arms over tower arch. Two restored C15 bench ends with poppyheads and mythical animals to front two pews of nave. North aisle with C12 pillar piscina on twisted stem, 3 panels of C15 screen painted with foliage pattern, fragments of medieval glass, consecration cross on north wall, two reset coffin lids one of mid C15 showing mason's square and chisel either side of wheelhead cross. 7 C15 benches with poppyhead bench ends. South aisle with 6 C15 benches with poppyhead bench ends. Chancel with plain piscina and mural memorial to Owen Barnes 1670, slate and stone with scrolled broken pediment.

Listing NGR: TF6909416257

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221943
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02121/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].