CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, GAYTON ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342401.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 15:54:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, GAYTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 72170 21891
TF 72 SW
GRIMSTON, GAYTON ROAD (east side), Church of St. Botolph
Parish church, C13 and later. Chancel restored 1889, nave restored 1895-6. Clunch with facings of uncoursed carstone and broken flint with some erratics and brick, stone dressings; slate roof, lead roof to aisles and porch. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, south porch, chancel. Tall tower mainly of flint with C15 added bellstage: diagonal stepped buttresses with flint flushwork, stone plinth; full height stair turret to south-east; west doorway with continuous mouldings, 3-light Perpendicular west window with transomed lights, string course-below; single cusped light under a square head to north, west and south faces of stage above west window, that to north having clock face of 1887 across it, east face with steep gable line of former roof. Bell stage articulated by string course, 3-light bell openings with 4-centred arches and panel tracery; embattled parapet with flint flushwork panels and limestone shields, south face with ashlar panels, crocketted pinnacles to each angle, string course below parapet with gargoyles to north, west and south. Clerestoreys to north and south nave alike: broken flint and brick mosaic, 4 3-light windows with panel tracery under 4-centred arches, figure stops to hood moulds. East gable of nave raised, brick quoins; gable cross. South aisle with 3 windows and one to west as to clerestorey; string course; diagonal buttress to south-west angle changing above string course to clasping polygonal buttress in ashlar rising to polygonal pointed cap. North aisle of varied stones and brick including much limestone; diagonal buttress, no string course, 3 windows and one to west as to clerestorey; north doorway with stoup to left, mouldings to head of doorway and figure stops renewed. South porch with diagonal buttresses, polygonal jambs to moulded 4-centred arch, niche above, gable cross, returns with openings of 3 cusped headed lights renewed. Early English south doorway of 3 orders, each with slender side shafts, deeply moulded arches, second order with dogstooth moulding, hood mould with figure stops. North and south transepts: mainly flint with some carstone and limestone, gables raised in carstone with brick quoins, carstone to raised returns, diagonal buttresses; string course and gable cross to south transept. C14 openings of 3 trefoil headed lights, those to south transept with large cusped cinquefoil over lower central light, those to north transept each under a trefoil. Chancel with green slate roof, gable cross added, angle buttresses, brick buttresses to south; C13 east window with fishscale tracery inserted c.1889; south and north lights renewed c.1889 in Decorated style, all of 2 lights under quatrefoils or trefoils, some with figure stops; priest's door to south with hollow chamfered moulding and wide stone dressings; north with gabled vestry of flint with gault brick dressings, C19 2-light window with datestone of 1631 below. Interior: Early English 5 bay arcades north and south, the easternmost bays to transepts; slender quatre- foil piers those to south and first bay of north transept having C13 shafts with recessed angles to appear detached, double chamfered arches; similar chancel arch with jambs as south arcade piers. Arches from transepts to aisles spring from grotesque corbels in aisle walls. Some springing from west responds of arcades for former arch across nave. Tall C15 tower arch with continuous moulding, semi-circular jambs. South aisle with string course, window rear arches with slender shafts having figure or foliage stops, moulded pointed segmental arch with foliage stops to rear arch of doorway, consecration cross. Chancel: screen with C15 panels painted with floral diaper pattern, C19 muntins and loft; painted and gilded wagon roof in 7 cants c.1889. Slender shafts to east window mullions and rear arch; moulded rear arches to chancel windows. Tall niches to either side of east window, piscina with sedilia all with crocketted ogee heads, all discovered and restored c.1889. North priest's door now to vestry with double hollow chamfered continuous moulding. Six misericord stalls to rear of screen. Wide fronts of stalls and their left and right returns having Decorated tracery to panels and carved ends depicting the evangelists' symbols and mythical creatures. C17 table with carved frieze, now extended. Nave: queen post roof c.1895 with wall posts and traceried spandrels, carved leaf bosses; octagonal font with facetted faces supported by 5 Early English colonettes; 8 C15 poppy heads, 6 with carved bench ends including figure of man in stocks holding a pig over his shoulder.
Listing NGR: TF7217021891
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing