Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342409.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:57:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
West Acre
National Grid Reference:
TF 78080 15237


WEST ACRE CHURCH GREEN (east side) TF 7815

10/43 Church of All Saints. 15.8.60.

G.V. I

Parish Church. C14, C15, C17 and C19 restorations. Formerly a dependancy of West Acre Priory, restored by Sir Edward Barkham, Lord of the Manor from C 1600 and Lord Mayor of London 1621, c.1638. An example of a Gothic survival or early Gothic Revival restoration. Knapped flint with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. 3 stage west tower has one 2-light 'Y' tracery C17 west window with drip mould head and flush keyed -arch above. Second stage has 4 rectangular lancet slits, Barkham coat of arms with cartouche on west face. Bell stage has 4 C17 pointed traceryless windows. Stone plinth, 2 ashlar faced west angle buttresses with set offs, bell stage string course, ashlar battle- ment parapets. Clock, 1907 with letters of Christ's Command "Watch and Pray" in place of numerals. 3 bay battlemented nave has 2 north and 2 south 4-light windows with distinctive C17 Gothic tracery of Perpendicular inspiration under drip mould heads and flush keyed keystone arches. South side has 4 and north 3 ashlared set off buttresses. Ashlar parapet with coat of arms on south. North porch has C17 classical doorcase with chamfered jambs. Capitals and moulded arch with central keystone with dears head. Flush keyed arch above. Porch interior has re-set C13 stone stead voussoir figure. South nave door has simple classical arched embrassure with keystone head under drip mould. Inscription EW 1538, presumably for 1638, above. 2 bay chancel south side has 2 'Y' tracery cusped light windows set under C17 round arch heads. South priest's door, 2 simple classical arches with keystone and drip mould, inscription above 1638 IFC. Battlemented parapet with coat of arms, one set off angle buttress. 4-light east window, tracery perhaps of c.1900 of Perpendicular inspiration, gable north transept vestry with 3-light Perpendicular style tracery, battlements and set off buttresses. Interior: C14 chancel arch, perhaps c.1638 re-cut capitals. Splayed stone soffits to nave windows dying into embrasure. Primitive tower arch perhaps c.1638 with stop angles and crude chamferings.

Listing NGR: TF7808015237


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04706/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].