CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342465
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342465.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:41:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Buckenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 06754 91431

Details

TM 09 SE OLD BUCKENHAM CHURCH LANE

4/110 Church of All Saints 16.7.58 I

Parish church. C12, rebuilt early C14, restored 1858. Rendered flint with ashlar quoins and thatched roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel. Octagonal tower in 2 stages with roll moulded shafts at corners reappearing on moulded plinths below base course. 2-light reticulated west window with arched trefoil window above. String course at belfry stage. 2-light louvred Y belfry windows and similar to alternating faces but blocked with knapped flint. C17 brick parapet with stepped crenellations. West wall of nave C12 of carstone masonry. C15 gabled south porch with lead roof, the arched opening hollow and chamfer moulded. Inner doorway wave moulded. Blocked east and west windows. 4 panel traceried nave windows of 2 or 3 lights under segmental or depressed arches. Rebated chancel with lower roof lit by 3 2-light Y windows under hoods on head stops. Arched priest's door with brick repairs. East wall of chancel rebuilt in brick C19 with flat buttress to south. Flint base course. 3-light intersecting east window. One Y window to north chancel. 3-light C15 panel window to east of north aisle and 3 similar to north wall separated by flat buttresses, that to corners diagonal. C12 north door with round arch decorated with cable and stud supported on single order of shafts with scalloped capitals. Square imposts. C17 timber door. 2 pointed 2-light C19 windows complete fenestration of aisle. Interior. 4 bay north arcade of late C14. Quatrefoil piers with hollow fillets between lobes on moulded base and polygonal plinth. Moulded capitals and double hollow chamfered arches. Scissor braced and plastered nave roof. Aisle roof with crenellated wall plate, moulded purlin and transverse beams on arched braces with traceried spandrels. C15 octagonal font with alternating designs : shields in split cusped circles and encircled quatrefoils. Grotesque heads below and plinth with engaged columns. Base of C15 screen at east end of aisle comprising 2 tiers of paired blind, lights with carved and repainted tracery. Nave seating 1858. C15 stall ends in chancel poppyhead with carved figures of prophets. Boarded scissor braced roof. Some C15 glass in 2 eastern south nave window heads. Royal arms of George III on west wall. C15 inner south door.

Listing NGR: TM0675491431

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220357
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16395/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].