CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1342530
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342530.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:56:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
South Lopham
National Grid Reference:
TM 03949 81751

Details

TM 08 SW SOUTH LOPHAM

6/96 Church of St. Andrew 16/7/58 - I

Parish church. Mid Cll nave, reworked c.1150 and C15, south aisle late C14, central tower c.1120 and late C14 chancel. Rubblestone and flint with ashlar dressings and various roof coverings : south aisle and porch lead; nave corrugated asbestos; chancel slate. Chancel restored 1866, remainder 1874 west end with diagonal buttress to north, flat to south, both reaching to arcade level only. 3-light transomed west window of c.1470. South aisle with 3 2-light branching mouchette tracery windows over pair of cusped semi- circular sub-arches, all with hood moulds and moulded jambs. Gabled south porch with re-used ashlar quoins and low parapet on kneelers, the kneelers with 3 ball flower, this motif repeated at aisle west parapet above diagonal buttress. Plain arched porch entrance and lancet side lights. Inner south door double wave and wave moulded with hood on head stops. 3-light aisle east window of c.1470. Clerestory added c.1470 of 5 2-light 4-centred windows with continuous hood moulds (only 4 clerestory windows to north). The south clerestory wall of knapped flint with flushwork initials between, from west : I.S. (Jesus Salvatur); MR (Maria Regina); crowned T (the Trinity); AT (unidentified). Timber wall plate cornice. 4 stage tower with diminishing clasping buttresses,that to north west elaborated into square stepped stair tower reaching to parapet and pierced with lancet lights. Lower first stage south has late C12 Norman door blocked with flint and 2-light mid C14 lozenge tracery window. Base on north of knapped flint with one C13 lancet. First stage north and south continues with 2 large round arches on square pilaster and responds. Second stage south and east of 2 groups of 3 arches divided by undifferentiated pillar, each group on two columns with cushion capitals elaborated with single scallops at corners, West side with one round arch each site of apex of nave roof. North side has 2 groups of 2 arches and all stages symmetrically disposed to accommodate stair turret. One or 2 lancet lights to ringing chamber within second stage arcading. Third stage with paired blocked windows also with cushion capitals. Top stage has 2 belfry windows divided by pilaster strip and responds with cushion capitals. C15 flushwork crenellated parapet. Chancel south with low side window and moulded priest's door, flat buttress and 2 renewed windows - 2-light petal tracery to west, 3-light mouchette under 4-centred arch to east. Diagonal east buttresses and elaborate 5-light east window of 1866 of amorphous Decorated design. Lean-to Cl9 vestry to north and one renewed 2-light mouchette window. North nave wall pierced by tall 2-light C15 panel tracery window at east. Blocked north door c,1150 : One order shafts with single incised scalloped cushion capitals and squared imposts carrying zig-zag arch below billet arch. To west again one double splayed Anglo-Saxon circular window of mid Cll. Interior. 4 bay south arcade of quatrefoil piers with fillets north and south running into polygonal abaci. Arches with hollow and wave mouldings. Clerestory windows irregularly placed above. False hammerbeam nave roof of c.1470, the wall plate and hammerbeam both crenellated. Arched braces rise to crenellated collars which carry short king posts to moulded ridge piece. One tier moulded butt purlins. C14 font with traceried panels to bowl and stem. C17 crown cover with baluster finial. Bench sedilia and angle piscina to east aisle chapel. C15 aisle roof of tie beams on arched braces. Crossing arches to east and west with roll moulding carried on shafted responds with cushion capitals, all c,l120. North-west pier has cinquefoiled ogeed statuary niche. Wall arches to north and south. Crossing roof similar to aisle and chancel. Chancel has stepped sedilia and angle piscina. Excellent set of C15 bench ends in pews of crossing : carved traceried ends with finials of figurative and animal motifs.

Listing NGR: TM0394981751

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220616
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/01216/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].