- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- OXBURGH HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342586 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:14:53.
- Statutory Address:
- OXBURGH HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Breckland (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 74256 01227
TF 7401 OXBOROUGH
13/24 Oxburgh Hall 9.7.51
Fortified Country House. Licence to crenellate 1482; extensive refurbishment during the late C18 and C19 with the involvement of J.C. Buckler and Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Brick with some stone dressings. Pantile roofs. Square moated site of 4 wings around a courtyard. The main fabric of the north, the west and half the east wings is C15. The single storeyed south wing is of 1865 with an adjoining C18 section to the west and a mainly early C19 tower to the east. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. North facade. Central 3-storey C15 gatehouse with a 4-centred vaulted archway flanked by polygonal turrets decorated with moulded brick arched corbel tables. Western turret houses winding stair with small quatrefoil windows. Upper storeys of eastern turret have single light arched windows with rectangular hood moulds. Centre bay with a 4-light stone first floor window with arched transoms and brick and stone relieving arches. Similar 3-light second floor window just beneath a 4-centred machicolation. Stepped crenellations. Early C18 3-bay bridge with crenellated parapet crosses the moat. Flanking facades with C19 Gothic fenestration, moulded brick arched corbel tables and crenellated parapets. 2 crow-stepped attic gables with pairs of Cosseyware chimney shafts. East facade. Northern half C15. Southern half C18 and C19 including the 4-storey tower to south west corner. One C18 semicircular-headed sash window with glazing bars. Otherwise C19 Gothic including a stone-dressed 2-storey canted bay with carving and 2 stone-dressed oriels. Arched corbel table. 2 crow- stepped attic gables with single Cosseyware chimney shafts, gabled north wing and 2 gabled dormers. Fabric of west facade almost entirely C15 with Fenestration and decoration similar to that of east facade. Interior. Adequately described in Oxburgh Hall, National Trust, 1982, except for the outstanding C15 roofs over the northern half of the east wing and over the complete west wing. Fully moulded arch braced roofs with king posts rising from collars to braced ridge beam. Furbishment of east wing attributable to J.C. Buckler. H.A. Tipping, "Oxburgh hall", Country Life, 66, 1929, pp. 194-202, pp.224-32.
Listing NGR: TF7425601227
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Oxburgh Hall, (1982)
'Country Life' in 14 December, (1929), 194-202
'Country Life' in 14 December, (1929), 224-232
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing