CHURCH OF ST EDBURGHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1343385
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jan-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDBURGHA, CHURCH ROAD, YARDLEY B26

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343385.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2021 at 01:43:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDBURGHA, CHURCH ROAD, YARDLEY B26

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 13503 86295

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/02/2013

SP 1386 SW 59/6 SP 1386 SE 60/2 5104 25.4.52

CHURCH ROAD Yardley B26 Church of St Edburgha

(Formerly listed as Church of St Edburgh)

(Formerly listed as Church of St Eadburgha)

I

Principally of the C14 and C15 but of C13 origin. A substantial sandstone parish church with nave, aisles, transepts and chancel. Lofty west tower of the C15, crenellated, in 4 stages and with diagonal buttresses to the crocketed hexagonal spire. The south wall of the chancel retains C13 work and the south doorway, giving onto the C15 timber-framed porch, is also of C13 build. The church was much enlarged in the C14 when the north and south transepts were added, the nave largely rebuilt and the chancel probably lengthened. The tower and north aisle are the C15 additions. The south wall of the chancel contains a very narrow lancet flanked by C15 2-light window and there is an ogee arched doorway. C14 chancel arch. The north chancel wall was rebuilt in 1890 when the chancel was lengthened and the vestry added. But part of the north-east window is probably medieval. The north arcade has three C15 splayed arch bays but the east bay is the original C14 transept bay. The south nave wall windows are 2-light C14, similar to the probably reset ones in the north aisle. The C15 porch over the south doorway has elaborate traceried sides to the oak frame and curved bargeboards. The pulpit was given in 1627 and has C17 panelling. Fine west window of the Last Supper by John Hardman and Company of 1892. Some fine monuments from the C15 to the early C19, that of the Rev Dr Henry Greswolde + 1700 in the chancel particularly unusual: a pedimented, curtained cave containing marble statues of the parson and his wife, the recess framed by medallions of their 11 children - the whole flanked by festoons.





Listing NGR: SP1349886308

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216943
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/02331/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. J Wheeler. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].