This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1344223



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175679

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




3/101 Westenhanger Manor 27.8.52 GV I

Castle or fortified house, now partly ruinous. C14, early and late C16, and late C18 or early C19, restored in 1980s. C14 walls of coursed ragstone. Front elevation of house red brick in Flemish bond, left gable end and rear elevation red brick, largely in header bond. Plain tile roof. Rectangular plan (courtyard 130 feet across), with circular bastions to west and north- east corners, and rectangular bastion to south-east. Rectangular tower to centre of each side to north, south and east. Gateway to centre of west side. Formerly continuous range of buildings to each side of courtyard; C16 fragments remain to north-west corner. Early C16 L-plan house to north- east corner, (probably for Sir Edward Poynings before 1521) with east curtain wall as its long right wall; main range at right-angles to wall, rear range parallel to it between main range and north-east bastion. Part of house, including front elevation, rebuilt in late C18. House: front (south) elevation: 2 storeys and attics on chamfered rock-faced ashlar plinth. Plat band, not extending to corners. Dentilled brick eaves cornice. Right gable end formerly with crow-stepped gable (shown in a print). Hipped roof, right hip returning. Rear stack to right, to junction of main range and wing. 2 hipped dormers. Regular 7-window front of recessed 24-pane sashes with splayed brick voussoirs. Panelled door under third window from right. Late C20 porch. Rear (north) elevation of main range: chamfered stone plinth. Early C16 first floor window of two round-headed chamfered brick lights. Broad blocked early C16 rectangular ground-floor window with chamfered brick architrave and moulded brick cornice. Moulded stone plinth continues along west elevation of rear wing (with C19 red brick in Flemish bond above) returning to west at north end along base of a short section rebuilt in late C20. Right return elevation (east): battered stone plinth. Eaves of rear wing slightly lower than mainrange. Narrow 2-storey brick section towards centre of rear wing, probably in place of a removed garderobe shute. Partly blocked rectangular early C16 six-light stone mullion window to first floor of main range, with hollow-chamfered mullions and round-headed lights. Single cinquefoil-headed light with square hoodmould towards north end of first floor of rear wing. Later one, two and three-light leaded casements to both floors. North-east bastion: converted to davecote, probably in early C16. Conical plain-tiled roof. Chamfered 2-light first- floor window to south-west. Three small casement windows to moat side of ground floor. Ruins: Largely C14. Curtain wall continues south from east end of main range of house, with north jamb of doubly-chamfered splayed first-floor window belonging to range considerably taller than present house, and jamb of another to ground floor morticed for bars. Base of stone tower projecting east:from centre of east curtain wall. South end of wall non- extant. Base of rectangular south-east corner bastion set at angle to corner. South wall and south range of courtyard non-extant. East half of south-west corner bastion remains to height of about 2 metres;, with base of blocked plain-chamfered north-east doorway. West wall continuous between south-west bastion and west gateway. North and south walls of west gateway, with 4 pairs of attached semi-octagonal stone shafts with moulded capitals and evidence for ribbed tunnel vault above them. Base of portcullis groove to west. Hollow-chamfered round-headed doorway with broach stops to west end of north wall, between gateway and north half of west range. West curtain wall continues north from gateway, standing to height of about 4 metres with recess, possibly for brick fireplace about 3 metres from gateway. Adjacent to north (formerly separated by wall of room) a small 4-centred-arched moulded brick fireplace with herringboned brick back- plate. North-west bastion with deeply-splayed west window or loop-light and pointed-arched doorway to east. Break in north wall to east of bastion. North end of stone east wall of west range remains, with base of hollow- chamfered brick window and with 4-centred arched hollow-chamfered stone doorway with broach stops. Chamfered stone plinth descends each side of doorway. East wall continues to south at height of about 1 metre, joining east end of west gateway. West end of north curtain wall non-extant. Wall resumes to west of central north tower and continues, at varied height, to north-east bastion. North tower of 3 low storeys with ledges in wall marking floors. Loop lights to north, east and west of each floor and larger opening to south. Garderobe shute within east wall. Doorway to south, now with brick jambs. Interior of house: C15 chamfered brick fireplace with four-centred arched wooden bressumer with carved spandrels to east end first-floor room of main range. Staircase, possibly C16, to rear of rear wing. C18 open-well staircase with turned balusters, moulded handrail and shaped cheeks, to main range. Corridor to ground floor of rear range with 3 rectangular wooden doorways with rectangular leaded lights to rooms. Staggered butt purlin roof to rear wing. Dovecote (first floor of north-east bastion) entered from first floor of rear wing by 4-centred arched brick doorway. Room encircled by 15 tiers of ledged plastered brick nesting boxes. Licence to crenellate granted 1343 to John de Kiriel. Extensive work by Sir Edward Poynings before 1521 and by Sir Thomas Smythe 1585-91 (little of Smith's work remains). Castle largely demolished in 1701 for building materials. Moated site. Scheduled Ancient Monument (uninhabited parts) See also item 3/102. (R.C.H.H., plan of house 1982, in National Monuments Record. J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North-East and East Kent, 1983).

Listing NGR: TR1278936737

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

National Grid Reference: TR1236537163


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 06:54:03.

End of official listing