This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1344525



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Curry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270820

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NORTH CURRY CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) ST3125 10/36 Church of Saint Peter and St Paul 25.2.55 GV I Parish church. Norman in origin, c1300 lower stages of tower, transepts and nave, C14 upper stage of tower, 1502 chancel rebuilt, porch added and walls of clerestory raised, minor restoration including parapet to tower 1832 by Richard Carver, 1881-2 north aisle wall and door taken down and re-built, render removed, vestry added, by John Oldrid Scott, parapets partly renewed and chancel reroofed 1967-8. Tower local grey sandstone, rest blue lias squared and coursed with some rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs behind pierced quatrefoil parapets, crenellated aisles and blind trefoil headed arcade to south transepts, chancel and north-east vestry. Buttressed west end, 3-light windows to aisles flanking 5-light west window, moulded arched west door, south aisle two 3-light windows left and one right of single storey, diagonally buttressed porch, quatrefoil pierced parapet, gargoyles, 3 crocketed niches containing late C19 figures by Harry Hems, deeply moulded surround to pointed arch opening, fan vaulted stone roof with pendant, moulded 4-centred arch doorway, C19 door with good decorative hinges, remains of 4-centred arch recess and pillar for holy water stoup; setback buttresses to south transept, 5-light window, crocketed niche left, 4-light window on east front, stair turret set in angle, arched doorway, lancet above two 4-light windows to chancel, set back buttresses to east end, 5-light window, 2-light to vestry, two 2-light on north front, door in south-west corner, 4-light window to chancel and to east face of north transept, 5-light north front, three 3-light to north aisle, buttresses between and resited Norman doorway; octagonal one stage tower with crude pierced parapet, 2-light louvred bell-openings, cusped mullions and transoms, panel pilasters with gargoyles between, clock on south front. Interior: exposed squared and coursed blue lias. Four bay moulded arched arcades without capitals, banded blocks of Has, local sandstone and lias, remains of blocked ogee-headed 2-light clearstorey window, three 3-light windows to clearstorey, crossing arches chamfered in three orders, black marble linked bell capitals to chancel arch, stone seats to nave arch piers. Late C19 roofs, cambered compartment ceiling to north aisle, corbelled collar beam roof with arched struts to chancel, wooden fanvault to tower. Cinquefoil headed piscina in north transept, south transept chamfered 4-centre arch doorway to rood stair, similar opening above. C19 pews. 1920s-1930s linenfold panelling with decorative carved cornice to chancel, finely carved altar rails, reredos by Bligh Bond. Brass lectern presented 1888 by the Barrett family of Noredon who paid for much of the Scott restoration. 1882 stone pulpit. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass by Burlesson and Grylls, and Heaton, Butler and Baine. C12 wooden coffer. Brass chandelier dated 1809 and signed by Wescott of Bristol. Monumental effigy of a franklin on a later chest, said to be inscribed "Toma atte Sloo" on the fold of the cote, and thought to be c1360. Cadaver effigy on well preserved Perpendicular chest tomb, not coeval. Slate slab to Robert Hooper died 1720. Brass to Elizabeth Butler died 1588. Restored Perpendicular Hall stone font with painted late C19 canopy. Painting on canvas of King David, or Saul, playing a harp with 2 angels nearby, painted egg and dart surround. (Photograph in NMR; 0livey, North Curry, 1901 Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; SANHS Proceedings, vol 68, 1922; Illustrated in Collinson, History of Somerset, vol 3, 1791).

Listing NGR: ST3193725366

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Olivey, , North Curry, (1901)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in 68, (1922)

National Grid Reference: ST 31947 25569


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 02:07:54.

End of official listing