CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1344664
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, RYE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:29:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, RYE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Puriton
National Grid Reference:
ST 32033 41720

Details

PURITON CP RYE (North side) ST54SW 5/54 Church of St Michael and All Angels 29.3.63

GV I

Anglican parish church. Early C13 tower, remainder C14/C15, cast-iron rainwater head dated 1877 marking a restoration. Coursed and coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate and lead sheeting roofs, except tower with pyramidal fishscale tile roof with weathervane, coped verges. Nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle, north vestry, west tower. Early English and Perpendicular. Squat unbuttressed tower of 4 receding stages, embattled parapet on corbels, low rectangular stair-turret to south with single pitch roof with stone slates; on the lowest stage of tower a lancet window to west, on stage above further lancets to north, south, and west sides; top stage with 2-light Perpendicular bell-chamber windows; C19 west doorway, studded door with iron strap hinges; clock to south with Roman numerals. Four bay nave, simple 2-light pointed-head windows. High porch with shallow front-facing gable; a gargoyle in the form of an angel to each side; outer door opening with moulded head on dressed lias jambs; interior benched on a tile floor, C14/C15 roof with an ornamental wall plate, inner dooway with ribbed and studded door with iron strap hinges; upper and lower entrances to a parvis with stair, floor to this upper room now removed. Four bay aisle, lean-to roof, 2-stage buttresses with offsets, simple 2-light pointed head windows. Two bay chancel, much restored; diagonal 2-stage east buttresses; 2-light square head windows, east end with 3 mid C19 neo-Early English windows; priests door to south with scratch dial on a jamb. Vestry with 2-light Gothick casement with Y-tracery. Interior scraped on C19 tile floor by Maw and Co of Broseley Salop. C19 plastered wagon roof to nave, C19 wagon roof to chancel, C14/15 lean-to to north aisle. Tower arch low and double-chamfered on moulded brackets, typical of their date. Plain chancel arch. Four bay arcade to north aisle, piers of 4-hollows section. Perpendicular rood screen, 3-light sections with some panel tracery, embattled top. C15 font; Perpendicular piscina to aisle. Three-light pointed head window between aisle and vestry with tracery; and 2-light square head window between chancel and vestry, both obscured by the addition of the vestry. Chest dated 1629, further C17 chest and chair, leaden reredos incorporating Jacobean and medieval work, made up from old pews and bench ends removed in 1859 when the church was reseated. C19 choir stalls, altar rails, organ, lectern and pulpit; chancel with sedilia, probably medieval but restored C19. C18 memorial slab to nave, also early C19 wall monument with figure of grieving muse and mid C19 Gothic wall monument. Late C19 stained glass, west window with figures. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3202741719

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/12821/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].