CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1344695
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344695.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:03:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Middlezoy
National Grid Reference:
ST 37471 33099

Details

MIDDLEZOY CP CHURCH ROAD (East side) ST33SE 5/28 Church of the Holy Cross 29.3.63 GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, restored C19. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate and lead-sheeting roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave with south aisle and a south porch, north transept, chancel, west tower. Geometrical, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. Lofty 3-stage tower of Quantock type; set-back buttresses connected diagonally across the angle, buttresses terminate in tall diagonally-set shafts on the top stage, pinnacles set diagonally at the corners; topping polygonal stair-turret to north; west doorway, 4-light west window with fine tracery; on stage above 2-light windows with Somerset tracery, flanking canopied niches; on bell-chamber stage twin 2-light openings, Somerset tracery, flanked by thin shafts with pinnacles. Nave with 3-light Perpendicular windows to north. Aisle of 5 bays; on south side 2-light windows with plate tracery, a small lancet, and a 3-light Perpendicular window with square head; to west end 3-light Perpendicular window; to east end 3-light window with reticulated tracery of c1330; buttresses; on south wall a lead plaque dated 1752. Gabled porch with broad outer door opening, benched inside on a flagstone floor, small double-chamfered inner doorway with trefoil niche over. Single bay north transept, low-pitched gable, parapet with coping, 3-light windows. Two bay chancel, 2-light windows, renewed tracery of c1300, 2 lancet lights with trefoils above them and a quatrefoil under the main arch, conforming 3-light east window with septfoil under main arch; evidence of former rood-turret to north, ribbed and studded priest's door to south, moulded surround, label with carved head stops. Plastered interior on flagstone floors. Arcade to aisle of 5 bays, piers of 4-hollows section, arch to north transept in similar style. Panelled Perpendicular tower arch, angel busts, incomplete fan-vault. Nave with ceiled C17 wagon roof, moulded cornice, ornamental bosses, pendants over former rood. Aisle windows with small internal shafts. Chancel windows with rere-arches. Corbel heads to aisle roof. Two good piscinae. Octagonal Perpendicular font with Jacobean tester. Good miserere to chancel. C16 rood screen, tall, panels of 4-lights with a middle mullion reaching to the apex of the arch, coving missing. Jacobean tower screen with upper section of balusters. C17 altar. Two C17 chests; pulpit, wooden with blank arches in two tiers. Some late medieval carved bench ends, some poppy finials. C18/C19 wall monuments. Stained glass figure of St Dorothy to south aisle lancet, C16; some C19 stained glass. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST3747333103

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269550
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05480/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].