WEST COMPTON HOUSE, FORECOURT WALL AND PIERS ON ROADSIDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345021
Date first listed:
02-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
WEST COMPTON HOUSE, FORECOURT WALL AND PIERS ON ROADSIDE, WEST COMPTON

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345021.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:47:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST COMPTON HOUSE, FORECOURT WALL AND PIERS ON ROADSIDE, WEST COMPTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Pilton
National Grid Reference:
ST 59397 42245

Details

ST54SE PILTON CP WEST COMPTON

4/163 West Compton House, forecourt wall and piers on roadside

2.6.61

- II*

Farmhouse, later altered to a small country residence, C17; mid C18 alterations for Bisse family. Rendered, tile roof, coped verges, brick stacks on ashlar bases, plinth band, moulded first floor band, moulded cornice, parapet with a moulded coping, emphasised dressed stone quoins. Symmetrical Palladian frontage. Two storeys and basement, 3:3 bays, 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars in edge moulded stone architraves; central half glazed door in a moulded architrave, flat-moulded cornice on acanthus leaf brackets; oblong panel set directly over with scrolly side brackets; 6 stone steps to door, top step renewed in concrete. Entrance to basement to left of frontage, paired plank doors, cambered head. Interior with fine dog leg staircase, turned and twisted balusters, ramped handrail, tread brackets; fireplace to ground floor in a dressed stone surround; further lesser features. Rubble wall to right of frontage, dressed stone coping ramped up at end, bead moulded door opening; rubble forecourt wall; square ashlar gate piers to centre with moulded caps and pineapple finials in acanthus left cuppings; rusticated end piers, ball caps; further door opening to left, rusticated jambs; wall coping ramped up to each end and at gate piers. Central gateway reached by a set of 5 rubble steps. C20 wooden gates not of special interest. (Phelps, The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire, 1839; VAG report, unpublished SRO, no date).

Listing NGR: ST5939742245

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267637
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Phelps, , The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire, (1839)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].