CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345121
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:21:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Cuthbert Out
National Grid Reference:
ST 57516 44601

Details

ST54SE DINDER CP CHURCH STREET (South side)

15/39 Church of St Michael

22.11.66

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, some C14 work, rebuilt C15, restored 1872 with rebuilt chancel and added organ chamber. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, lead sheeting roofs, coped verge. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north organ chamber, south porch, west tower. Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, 2-light bell chamber windows with Somerset-type tracery, stone grilles, topping embattled stair turret, clock, west window, west door. Three bay embattled nave, each aerlon enriched by a foiled niche, gargoyles, pinnacles, 2-light windows, 2 with square heads and one with a pointed head. Porch with parapet and coping, diagonal buttresses, gargoyles, shafted outer door opening, benched interior on flagstone floor, C19 roof on corbels carved as heads. Three-bay aisle, embattled in conforming style to nave, buttresses, gargoyles, pinnacles, 3-light pointed-head windows, door. Three-bay chancel, reset single and 2-light Decorated windows, 3-light Perpendicular east window. Organ chamber in Perpendicular style, pierced parapet. Interior plastered on flagstone floor; roofs of the restoration; to nave and aisle on corbels carved as angels. Three bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4-hollow section; chamfered chancel and tower arches, possibly earlier than the C15. Arches to organ chamber of 1872. Norman dragon heads reset in the chancel over a south window. Good stone pulpit dated 1621, with rosettes, fleur-de-lis and symbols of the Trinity. Octagonally Perpendicular font, a quatrefoil to each face. Piscina also Perpendicular. Pews, choir stalls, altar rails, organ, reredos and screen late C19. Iron candelabrae. Five late C18-early C19 monuments under tower; elaborate mid C19 monument over north door. Window to south of nave with reset medieval glass fragaents; 8 late C19 stained glass windows. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5751644601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268058
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05435/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].