CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1345202
Date first listed:
20-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2021 at 23:42:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Shepton Mallet
National Grid Reference:
ST 61977 43670

Details

ST6143 SHEPTON MALLET CP CHURCH LANE (South side)

6/66 Church of St Peter & St Paul

20.5.52

GV I

Parish church. Principally C12, C13, C14 with extensive C19 alterations. Doulting ashlar. Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, North and South aisles, chancel and Western tower. Tower, 1380, finest feature in early Perpendicular style. One pair of prominent set-back buttresses to each corner, connected diagonally across the angle of the tower, terminating in freestanding pinnacles, further diagonal shafts terminating in pinnacles on the tower itself. Pierced parapet with quatrefoils, stair turret to North side. West window of 6-lights, geometrical tracery, above 3-niches for statuary with original central figure. 2-light bell openings, flanked by blank 2-light windows. Stump of unfinished spire to roof. Aisles rebuilt 1836 by Wainwright, 6-bays each. Above clerestorey windows to nave of 1881, the nave itself has a pierced parapet with pinnacles between each bay. Chancel, rebuilt 1847, has a reticulated window of 3-lights to East end, flanked to South by late C19 vestry, and to North by 2-storey vestry of the C15 which now contains the organ. Interior has fan vault to tower, elaborate wagon roof of C15 to arcaded nave, arches dating from C12, early C13 chancel arch, and double piscina of c1235. The wagon roof is the most remarkable feature made up of 350 panels and 300 bosses each of individual design. Furniture includes pulpit of c1450 having canopied and gabled niches, C14 font and 2-effigies of knights dating from the C13 in the North aisle. 9-memorial plaques in the tower of the C17 and C18, several to the Strode family, including William Strode. Plaques to Strodes Bread Charity, relating to nearby Almshouses (qv), adjacent to tower arch. Other tablets of C18 and C19 some by King and Reeves of Bath, some by Paty and Wood of Bristol.

Listing NGR: ST6197943670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266464
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/16108/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].