PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1345441
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1983
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BATH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345441.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:49:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BATH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Frome
National Grid Reference:
ST 77707 47909

Details

1. 5363 BATH STREET (East side)

Parish Church of ST 7747 NE 10/1 St John the Baptist

II*

2. A Saxon church stood here or close by. The present church has vestiges of C12, C13 and C14 work but was virtually rebuilt in the C19. The chancel restored in 1844, the rest 1852-66 by C E Giles for the Rev W J E Bennett. An excellent example of Victorian Anglo-Catholic remodelling in Decorated style with pious foreign touches (eg Rayonnant). Of the Saxon period survive some carved stones (probably C11) under the tower. There is a Norman archway into the Lady Chapel, medieval corbels in north aisle and in Lady Chapel. Two medieval chantry chapels are incorporated, St John's (endowed 1377) and St Andrew's (opened 1412). The church is built of rubble with cornice and parapets and large gargoyles. 7 or 8 bay aisled and clerestoried nave. 2 bay chancel with north and south chapels. 2 additional north chapels. 2 storey north porch with rood in gable (completing Via Crucis (Church Street) (qv). Gabled south porch also with sculpture. Tower with traceried parapet and spire over east bay of south aisle. Mostly 2 light ogee windows. West front has tall gable over geometric 4 light west window, niche with statue of St John in gable. Central west door flanked by canopied niches containg statues of the 4 evangelists (by James Forsyth). Side doors with cut-off windows containing foiled tracery. Canopied pinnacles to gable. The interior Pointed arcade, 3 bays without capitals, high and wide octagonal plinths, roundels with scenes from the New Testament in the spandrels. Most of the windows have coloured glass (mostly by C E Kempe and Co), grisaille in the clerestory, narrative in the aisles. An excellent description of the history, the interior and the memorials is contained in the "Guide to the Church of St John the Baptist, Frome, Selwood" (1975).

Rich detailing, the baptistary has splendid pavement and carved draper dado (also contains the John Stevens memorial. Lady Chapel (Boyle family vault) which is ornate and has a Norman doorway, C15 corbels and a number of marble memorials (2 by R Westmacott) plus a shrouded cadaver said for no reason to be that of Edmund Leversedge (buried at Westbury). The church furniture, paving etc are consistently of a high Victorian standard. The churchyard has low rubble walls with pyramidal coping, a number of corner piers and iron gates. Via Crucis and Fountain. See under Church Street.

Listing NGR: ST7769747906

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266035
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide to the Church of St John the Baptist Frome Selwood, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05773/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G F J Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].