GLASTONBURY ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1345447

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1950

Statutory Address: GLASTONBURY ABBEY, MAGDALENE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLASTONBURY ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:32:55.

Location

Statutory Address: GLASTONBURY ABBEY, MAGDALENE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Glastonbury

National Grid Reference: ST 50058 38781

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAGDALENE STREET 1. 1133 (East Side) Glastonbury Abbey ST 4938 7/1 21.6.50. ST 5138 8/1 GV 2. By tradition the most venerable monastic foundation in England, established on the legendary site of Joseph of Arimathea's oratory. Also believed to contain the burial place of King Arthur. The site was occupied by an important pre-Conquest monastery associated with St Dunstan. Standing remains belong to the great abbey church rebuilt after a disastrous fire in 1184. The most complete survival from this church is the richly detailed St Mary's Chapel on a crypt at west end. The tall fragments of the east crossing piers with adjoining transept walls and chapels are the most prominent survivals of the late C12 church. Other substantial remains include portions of the outer walls of late C12 chancel aisles and C14 retrochoir, 3 bays of south nave aisle wall, lower parts of the west front and the Galilee (with crypt) linked to St Mary's Chapel. The only standing remains of the monastic buildings are the Abbot's itchen (see separate entry) and an important fragment of the Abbot's great hall to north of the kitchen. Church of England Property. The whole monastic area is scheduled as Ancient Monument. All the listed buildings in the Abbey grounds form an extremely important group.

Listing NGR: ST5001238836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265970

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing