ST AUDRIE'S SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1345730
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
ST AUDRIE'S SCHOOL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345730.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 20:18:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST AUDRIE'S SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Somerset West and Taunton (District Authority)
Parish:
West Quantoxhead
National Grid Reference:
ST 11052 42328

Details

ST14SW WEST QUANTOXHEAD CP

5/210 St. Audries School

-

GV II

Country house, now school. Earlier house almost if not completely rebuilt and enlarged between 1835, purchase of estate by Sir Peregins Acland) and 1870. Stable block, service end and part of North front, Richard Carver 1830s and '40s, rest by John Norton, builder William Shewbrooks of Taunton. Ashlar Sampford Brett red sandstone facade, earlier parts faced in ashlar limestone, Bath stone dressings, plain tile roof, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges with kneelers, finials on gable ends, ashlar stacks. Plan: great hall facing Southwest entered under oriel tower, projecting gabled wing to South (Morning Room), long North East garden front, service courtyard that may contain part of earlier dwelling behind, large stable courtyard at rear. Tudor Gothic style. Two and a half storeys, 4 stage tower, 1:1:1:4:1 bays; all Tudor arch head's, gabled projecting bay left, 2-light casement gable end, 4-light mullioned and transomed windows below, 2-light mullioned and transomed window to right first floor, crenellated tower with 3 stage oriel bay corbelled out with 4-light mullioned and transomed windows, entrance below, crenellated, octagonal stair turret to left, hall four long 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, leaded panes, flanked by stepped buttresses linked to corbelled cornice. To right 3-light casement in gable end of Morning Room bay, below 2 storey crenellated central bay, 5-light mullioned and transomed windows. Entrance 4 centred arch opening, square hood mould, decorated spandrals, double doors with studs. Inscription on corbelled base of oriel 'Except the Lord build the house they laboureth in vain that build it' with Acland coat of arms and motto 'Zealous'. Left return garden front of many gables and canted bays, only the library bay at the west end faced in red sandstone. Stable courtyard; random rubble crenellated gateway with finials, large central depressed arch opening flanked by 2 smaller ones, gable with coat of arms, by Carver. Interior: screes passage, wooden 3 bay Perpendicular arcade carrying minstrel's gallery, North West wall 4 bay arcade interrupted by hood moulded fireplace corridor behind, linenfold panelling, arch braced collar truss roof with 3 tiers of quatrefoil wind bracing, remains of fresco on South East wall. Rococo style decoration in Drawing Room, best work ribbed plaster ceiling with pendant in Dining Room. Rather disappointing interior after assured and confident facade, St. Audries become a girls' school in 1934. (Photograph in NMR; The Architect, September 21, 1872; Country Life, June 23, 1934; VCH Somerset, Vol,5 forthcoming).



Listing NGR: ST1105242328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265273
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14845/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].