This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1345781



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Coker

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263649

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/91 Church of Saint Michael



Church. Late C12 with C15 and C19 work. Ham stone squared rubble with ashlar; fish-scale and plain clay tile roofs to nave, chancel and North Transept, stone slates to South transept and lead over aisles. A cruciform church with added side aisles and North porch; central tower unsafe and replaced in 1790 by North East corner tower; chancel 2-bays nominal, nave 3-bays plus crossing, aisles 3-bays, transepts one long bay. Chancel has offset corner buttresses, plinth and cross finial to coping; East window a C19 copy of former blocked C15 window, four-light traceried under pointed arch with pointed label; 3-light windows in 4 centred recessed arches to North and South sides. South transept simple; C15 tranceried 3-light window in pointed arch recess in South wall; a 2-light C18 window in East wall. South aisle has plinth, full height offset buttresses, plain parapet; three 3-light C15 traceried windows under pointed labels. North aisle similar, except that the parapet is crenellated; in centre bay the simple porch with moulded pointed archways. North transept projects only very slightly; the window matches that of South aisle. West end has plain moulded pointed arch doorway with C19 trancery above; C15 tranceried windows in pointed recessed arches to aisles, with label to North aisle; angled corner buttresses to aisles, nave projects slightly. Tower in 3-stages, of 1790 date; offset corner buttresses to top of second stage, octagonal stair turret on South East corner taller than rest of tower; tall plinth, string courses, simple open arcaded balustrade with small pinnacles to corners; lowest stage has small pointed East doorway and 3-light pointed window with double 'Y' tracery; second stage 2-light pointed window with 'Y' tracery on North face only; third stage similar window with baffles to East, blind window to West and on North face clock dial flanked by single-light round arched windows with baffles. Internally chancel has timber ribbed and bossed barrel vault ceiling; remainder seems C19 rebuild; wide pointed arch to crosing. Semi-circular arches with classical imposts to transepts; South transept has plaster barrel vault ceiling with stone cornice, and cill height panelling in box pews of 1790; coffer panelled C16 arch into South aisle; old heraldic glass in tracery of South window; North transept similar, without panelling and pews; the North window probably of C19 and set much lower, ribbed plaster vault with hipped end and stone cornice. The South aisle has a late C13 arcade with circular columns, pointed arches; North aisle has C15 arcade with 4-hollow piers, the entrance door probably C15 with external tracery decoration, and over is a 1690 hatchment board. C13 circular font with cable mould on modern base. Two recumbent effigies; that in South transept much damaged, but effigy of Lady Elizabeth Courtenay, died 1375 on West wall in better state. Also on the West wall the memorial tablet to T S Elliot, poet and writer, whose ashes were interred in 1965.

Listing NGR: ST5388312190

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 53883 12190


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 10:34:06.

End of official listing