- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BARRINGTON COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345920 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:19:09.
- Statutory Address:
- BARRINGTON COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Somerset (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 39813 18284
ST3918 BARRINGTON CP
BARRINGTON COURT ESTATE
9/178 Barrington Court
Manor house. Circa 1514 for Henry Daubeney, perhaps finished as late as c1558 for William Clifton. Interior virtually gutted c1825, restored 1921-25 by Forbes and Tate for A.A. Lyle having passed to the National Trust in 1908. Ham stone with stone-tiled roofs. E-plan, rain elevation to the south-east, main range containing hall and buttery divided by a screens-passage, long projecting wings with staircases in square turrets in the angles, central porch; the plan is slightly offset, screens-passage and entrances not on central axis, some difference in floor levels; long gallery to attic; interior much replanned and refitted 1921-25; in style native Gothic combined with French Rennaissence features. South-east elevation of 2 storeys and attic, 1:1:1:2:1 bays, 2, 3, 4, and 5-light stone-mullioned windows, the majority to the ground and first floor transomed, 4-centred heads to lights, square- paned leaded lights, stopped labels. Outer wings and porch with diagonal buttresses which ascend to twisted finials, scalework caps with crocketed finials, attic gables to bays each side of porch and stair-turrets with similar finials, further finials at the apex of each gable; the skyline complemented by off-ridge tall twisted chimneys with crenellated caps, singly and in two's. Four-storeyed central porch, 3-light window in the gable face, moulded 4- centred arch outer door opening, inner door opening with a panelled door. Returns in similar elaborate style, stacks project with offsets. The principal entrance has to the rear, created by Forbes and Tate; 2:1:3:2:1 bays, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned windows, 6 transomed, flanking the central doorway projecting chimney-breasts, to left garderobe flues; doorway reached by straight-flight of stone steps. Interior with only the studding of the screens gallery in the hall surviving from the original house. Two early C17 overmantels survive on the first floor, one the Judgment of Solomon, the other in painted freestone with flanking coluans and strapwork ornament.Kitchen with passive stone lintel in the east wing. Virtually all the other fittings in the house cone from the collection of A.A. Lyle and were incorporated by Forbes and Tate, further work to their designs including several good staircases. The reused fittings date from the C16, C17 and C18 including panelling, staicase, panelled ceilings, doors and chimneypieces. Adjacent to the house a wing by Forbes and Tate adopted from a C17/C18 stable block; further service buildings (qv). (Country Life, September 17, 1908; November 7, 1925; March 17, 1928; March 24, 1928; September 8, 1928; September 9, 1949; July 28, 1960; VCH, Vol IV, 1978; Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Ellison A., Medieval Villages of South East Somerset).
Listing NGR: ST3981318284
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Ellison, A , Medieval Villages of South East Somerset
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 17 September, (1908)
'Country Life' in 9 September, (1949)
'Country Life' in 28 July, (1960)
'Country Life' in 8 September, (1928)
'Country Life' in 24 March, (1928)
'Country Life' in 7 November, (1925)
'Country Life' in 17 March, (1928)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing