THE OLD COURT AND COURT CLOSE, WITH COURT PLACE AND OLD COURT COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1345968
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
COURT CLOSE, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
COURT PLACE, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
OLD COURT COTTAGE, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
THE OLD COURT, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COURT AND COURT CLOSE, WITH COURT PLACE AND OLD COURT COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1345968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:52:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
COURT CLOSE, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
COURT PLACE, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
OLD COURT COTTAGE, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
THE OLD COURT, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Misterton
National Grid Reference:
ST4521408141

Details

ST40NE MISTERTON CP CHURCH LANE (West side)

6/166 The Old Court and Court Close, with Court Place and Old Court Cottage 4.2.58

GV II

Two houses subsequently linked to form one, extended and now subdivided. C16, modified in C17, Cl9 and C20. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; Bridgwater patent interlocking clay tiles, akin to double Roman, between stepped coped gabled; brick and stone chimney stacks. Complex plan: Old Court on the east-west axis, and Court Close, on north-south axis, were linked in C17 to make one house of 'L'-plan. Court Place is a south range planted alongside Old Court in C19; Old Court Cottage to rear of Court Close essentially a C20 wing; stable block to north of Court Close, extending eastwards, completes the plan. Two storeys with attic: principal west elevation has gable of Court Place, then the gable of Old Court, followed by 4 bays of Court Close, and the projecting stable wing. Court Place gable plain. The Old Court gable has string courses; ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, 3-light with label to ground floor, 3-light with transome breaking into string at first floor level, and to attic a small triangular-arched stairlight with hood. The gable is crowned by an octagonal stone chimney stack under which is a small plaque, the inscription almost lost but thought to have been placed there by Merifield Hallett in 1660 to commemorate the restoration of the monarchy. To lower right of gable a C20 door in segmental-arched opening with heavy plain ashlar surround. Court Close also had mullioned windows: to ground floor bays 1 and 2 the mullions removed from labelled 3-light windows and 2-light casements inserted; to first floor and between bays a 4-light without label, and small triangular-headed stairlight to right. Bays 3 and 4 break forward; to bay 3 are hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, 4-light with label below and 5-light without label above, both rectangular leaded: to bay 4 first floor a small tranceried window, possibly a C14 window reused, under a square label. Below a segmental-arched doorway in plain recess under label, with C20 door. Projecting forward to north of this the stable wing, late C18, 5 bays with matching walls and roof, single-storey with attic. Semi-circular-arched windows with mullioned and double-transomed rectangular-leaded casement windows, with a 2-light casement window in hipped roof dormer over bay 1: semi-circular archway in east gable, C20 openings in north flank. Interiors not seen, but both considerably altered: a variety of chamfered beams exist at ground floor level; three earlier fireplaces survive, one cambered-arched and moulded; one cambered-arched doorway in a timber-framed wall: roof trusses mostly tie-beam pattern. A holding of Crewkerne Manor known in late C13, and called 'Sporisplace' after Spoure family who owned it from 1399. In C19 generally known as Misterton Lodge, the name Old Court dates from 1924. A c1700 drawing shows the property from the east similar to its present form, the present stable wing replacing a service wing of similar size. The attached properties of Court Place and Old Court Cottage included for their group value. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, pp63-61j SSAVBRG Report, unpublished SRO, February 1984.

Listing NGR: ST4521408141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262416
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 63-64
'Somerset and South Avon Vernacular Building Research Group Report' in February, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12354/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]uk.