CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1346479
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346479.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2020 at 10:58:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Fridaythorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 87470 59263

Details

FRIDAYTHORPE CHURCH LANE SE 85 NE (east side)

7/9 Church of St Mary

20.9.66

- I

Church. C12 origins including south door and chancel arch of c1140 and tower of c1190, with C13 additions including north arcade, later additions and alterations of C17, 1771 and of 1902-3 by C Hodgson Fowler for Sir Tatton Sykes, 5th Baronet of Sledmere, including rebuilding of north aisle and south porch. Limestone ashlar with concealed roof. 2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and with aisle and clerestory to north, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: chamfered plinth. To west side, first stage, a round-arched window with chamfered jambs; above to second stage a wooden clock inscribed 'ANO DOM / 1903 / Time is short : Eternity / is long'; to other sides, second stage, are rectangular bell openings. Eaves band with C20 rainwater heads to east. Low parapet with pyramidal finials to corners. Entrance to south porch a pointed arch with shafts supporting roll-moulding under hoodmould flanked by shields. Eaves band. Parapet with moulded copings. Ridge cross. Within a C19 studded door in round-arched Norman surround of 3 orders: the inner order has scallop capital to right and fleuron capital to left, central order with similar capitals, outer order with scallop capital to left and zigzag capital to right. Chevron moulded arches to all orders, that to centre with ball motif to antis. The abaci are decorated with interlacing bands, foliage and zigzags, the whole under partly eroded hoodmould. Nave, south side: chamfered plinth. To east of porch a rectangular light with chamfered surround and 2-light mullion window in chamfered surround. To upper right-hand area a small square light in chamfered surround. Low parapet with moulded copings. North side: aisle has plinth and buttresses with off-sets to east. Entrance to right, a studded plank door within pointed moulded surround under hoodmould with label stops. 2 and 3-cinquefoil-light straight-headed windows within cavetto-moulded surrounds. West end has similar 3-light window. Modillion corbel table. Clerestory has 3 rectangular windows within chamfered surrounds. Chancel, south side. Chamfered, round-arched priest's door with lancet window to either side in chamfered surrounds. Low parapet surmounted by roll-moulded copings. North side: vestry, a continuation of north aisle, has studded plank door within cavetto-moulded, 4-centred surround, and to east a 3-lancet-light, straight-headed window within cavetto-moulded surround. To east end of chancel, a blocked 3-light mullion window in double-chamfered surround. Cross at apex. Interior. Pointed, double- chamfered tower arch on chamfered responds with abaci and some star mouldings. Nave has 4-bay arcade to north: double-chamfered, pointed arches on cylindrical piers with moulded bases and capitals, the easternmost pier inscribed 'This 713 found hear' (sic). Round, chancel arch has outer order of chevron moulding on shaft with scallop capitals to left, roll-moulded inner order and carved abaci, otherwise mainly re-cut. North aisle: shoulder-arched opening to vestry with studded plank door. Chancel, north side, has lancet and round-arched window, the latter is easternmost and blocked, the other lights vestry. Early C17 oak altar rails with rod-on- vase balusters. Font, Norman, has arcading to top on plinth and tapering octagonal base, partly recut. Fragments of wall painting with parts of the 10 Commandments to east end of nave to right of chancel arch. To chancel a priest's grave slab c1350 with incised cross. Bust of Sir Tatton Sykes 1826-1913 by Bryan Charles. C18 carved altar brought from Sledmere Church in 1895. Reredos of 1902. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, p 233.

Listing NGR: SE8747059261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167820
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 233

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/05034/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Pierce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].