Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346656.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:06:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 07909 60807



4/43 Church of St Martin 20.9.66


Church. Chancel about 1330, C15 tower, raised in C18, nave rebuilt in C19, C19 south porch. Sandstone ashlar, coursed squared chalk rubble, brick in English garden wall bond to belfry, slate roof. 2-stage west tower, 4-bay nave, ruinous 2-bay chancel (originally 3 bays or more). West tower: double-chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets and gablets. Pointed belfry openings with timber Y-tracery, stepped cornice to crenellated parapet with corner obelisks. West window of 2 lights with mullion, ¼-round moulding to reveals, and segmental heads under dripmould. 2 lifts of putlog holes blocked with bricks above. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Lancet to west with cusped tracery, two 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery to east. Pointed south doorway with continuous roll- moulding. coped gables. Chancel: west bay has chamfered plinth. Buttresses with offsets. 3-light pointed window to west with high-quality Reticulated tracery and iron glazing bars, now reduced to one light. Human head hood-mould stop to right. Pointed priest's door in deep segmental- headed embrasure to right. Fragments of crenellations over. North wall has 2 pointed windows with similar high-quality Reticulated tracery. C16 east window of 4 lights with mullions and transoms. Interior: nave has C14 double-chamfered pointed chancel arch on moulded capitals with rosettes and stylised fig leaves. Fragment of a brass in north wall: knight and part of accompanying inscription, 1443. (The matrix for this brass lies in the chancel floor). C14 recumbent effigy of a couple carved as if partly concealed beneath a tree with shields at the roots and 6 branches to each side, each branch terminating in the head of a child. West wall bears a memorial to John Newton erected by his widow Jane and giving old style and new style dates (1739/40) together with some verses previously written by the deceased and his wife. To the south, a memorial to their children 1735. Below, a pre-Conquest cross-head with interlace ornament. Chancel: re-set trefoil-headed piscina in east wall. Large collection of inscribed and architectural fragments. 'The chancel of the Church of Saint Martin is scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TA0790960807


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/15769/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].