Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346925.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:12:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Ashby cum Fenby
National Grid Reference:
TA 25454 00949


TA 20 SE 5263 7/1 HUMBERSIDE, CLEETHORPES, ASHBY CUM FENBY, ASHBY LANE (east side, off), Church of Saint Peter


GV II* Parish church. C12 nave, C13 tower; nave arcade, north aisle and chancel rebuilt in C17, the latter incorporating C14 windows. Restored 1845, tower repaired 1886, west end restored 1910, tower restored 1959. Squared ironstone and chalk, rubble and flint; brick to chancel; limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower with west entrance, 3- bay nave with 4-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel. Quoins. 2-stage tower: moulded plinth, restored pointed chamfered door, restored C14 pointed 2- light traceried window, line of former nave gable to east, stringcourse. Tall pointed 2-light belfry openings (those to north and south partly restored) wiLh Y-tracery on a shaft, dogtooth decoration and plain hoodmoulds. Weathered angle gargoyles. Restored coped ashlar parapet. Nave: section of blocked C12 round-headed south door to left; C14 pointed 3- light window with reticulated tracery, similar window with C19 tracery, and C14 - C15 square-headed 3-light trefoiled window. North aisle: single-light and 3-light mullioned windows beneath timber lintels; C20 brick-mullioned 3- light west window. Chancel: rubble to lower sections with brick above, buttresses to east. Re-set pointed chamfered south door and pointed 2-light windows with good reticulated tracery, hoodmould and headstops. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch, inner order on fine carved head corbels. Arcade of one pointed double-chamfered arch and 3 plain round arches of 2 orders, probably re-built in C17, on C13 keeled quatrefoil piers, one with moulded capital and circular abacus, the others plainer, perhaps contemporary with arches. C17 chancel arch with continuous double chamfer. Monuments: in tower a good early C14 knight effigy with legs crossed and lion at feet; fine ashlar standing wall monument in chancel to Suzanna Dury of 1606 with surround of fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying a bold cornice, round-headed niche with putti in spandrels, carved intrados and inscribed tablet over later C17 two-thirds life-size figure of reclining woman on sarcophagus lid supported by 2 hounds; fine mid C17 standing ashlar monument bearing traces of painting to Sir William Wray (died 1616) and Lady Frances Wray (died 1647), 3 by 2 bays, with Corinthian columns supporting inscribed entablature and canopy with elaborate carved arms above, over full-size reclining figures of Wray and wife, kneeling daughter beside them, infant at feet, and two small kneeling figures of sons in armour beside base to north; black marble floor slab to Sir William Wray of 1669 with inscribed white marble border. C14-C15 font with octagonal bowl carved with mouchettes and quatrefoils in circles, shafted column and moulded base. C11 - C12 pillar piscina at west end with quatrefoil shaft, scalloped capital and square top containing C20 alms box. Central section of C14 oak rood screen under tower arch: central opening flanked by two and a half panels each side, with octagonal columns and cusped trefoiled ogee arches, 2 deep, plain panels below and later frieze above. Fragments of C14 glass, including portions of dragon, in chancel south windows. Two bells in nave dated 1699 and 1725. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 172.

Listing NGR: TA2545400949


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 172


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16619/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].