CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1346952
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346952.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:25:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Laceby
National Grid Reference:
TA 21437 06530

Details

TA 20 NW LACEBY HIGH STREET (east side) 2/43 Church of Saint Margaret 4.1.67 - I

Parish church. C12 sections to nave and north arcade, remainder of arcade C13; C13 chancel with C14-C15 windows, C13 tower with C14-C15 top stage. Restorations of 1869 by James Fowler of Louth included rebuilding north aisle, chancel and much of nave, new porch and vestry; organ-chamber of 1912. Ironstone rubble and squared blocks with some chalk and flint rubble; limestone ashlar dressings and facing to top stage of tower. Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 4-bay nave with 5-bay north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with organ chamber adjoining north side. 2-stage tower: chamfered plinth, quoins, west lancet. Restored top stage has pointed 2- light belfry openings, those to north and south with trefoiled lights and pierced quatrefoil above, those to east and west with restored Y-tracery; embattled parapet with gargoyles and eight crocketed pinnacles. C19 chamfered plinth, buttresses and cillband to nave and chancel. Nave: pair of round-headed windows flanking porch, that to west C12, that to east largely restored, C19 Y-traceried 2-light window. North aisle: buttresses, Y-traceried 2-light windows. Pointed 3-light traceried window to organ chamber with oval light in gable above. Chancel: pointed 3-light south windows with restored Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops, C19 3-light traceried east window; C10-Cll carved interlace stone re-set in north wall. Porch: angle buttresses, shafted pointed outer door with zig- zag moulded arch incorporating some C12 stone, ornate 3-light side windows with detached shafts and seats below. C12 chamfered round-arched inner door with plain moulded imposts. Interior. 5-bay north arcade has central round arch of 2 orders with zig-zag, crenellated, carved pellet and roll mouldings, on cylindrical piers with chamfered square abaci, plain capitals and bases: one of the piers partly C13 with a waterholding base. Flanking pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases; waterholding base to east respond. Wide pointed double- chamfered tower arch dying into plain jambs. C19 pointed moulded chancel arch on filleted responds. Chancel: remains of C13 blank arcading with plain and chamfered arches on triple-shafts with plain moulded capitals; C19 pointed moulded arch to organ chamber on similar responds. Ornate C19 aumbry. Floor slab at east end of nave to Ralph Ballel of 1730 has oval panel with arms and crest carved in relief. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 291. Drawing by C Nattes 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA2143706528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164409
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 291

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10483/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].