CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1346976
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346976.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:53:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Habrough
National Grid Reference:
TA 15503 14310

Details

HABROUGH, STATION ROAD (east side), TA 11 SE, 4/3

Church of St Margaret

4.1.67

GV

II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1868-69 by R J Withers of London, with restored C14 arcades, tower and chancel arches. Rough-faced limestone ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining to north. Chamfered plinth. 2-stage tower with low full-width buttresses to north and south sides. Lower stage has pointed 2-light plate-traceried west window with hoodmould continued as string course. Stepped-in upper belfry stage has moulded sill string course and lancets with continuous hoodmould, rising to upper octagonal section with quatrefoiled roundels, string course and octagonal spirelet with lucarnes surmounted by weathercock. Aisles have pointed 2-light plate-traceried windows with hoodmoulds. East extension of north aisle forms vestry with segmental-pointed door and single-light window. 6 pointed trefoiled single-light clerestory windows with hoodmoulds. Chancel: single lancet to north, 2 twin lancets to south with continuous hoodmoulds; triple east lancet with hoodmould and headstops. Continuous sill band. Porch: pointed chamfered outer arch with hoodmould continued as string course; quatrefoiled circular side windows; pointed chamfered inner arch. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases; original shafted responds with octagonal abaci to north arcade. Tall pointed double- chamfered tower arch with chamfered responds. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order on original moulded corbels. Chancel has sill string course, hoodmoulds and headstops to windows, carved ashlar reredos, sedile beneath south-east window. C19 fittings, cylindrical font with nailhead moulding on shafted base.

N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 260; Associated Architectural Societies its and Papers, vol 10 pt 1, 1869, p xviii.

Listing NGR: TA1550314310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164424
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 260
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 10, (1869), 18

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/08115/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].