CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1346978

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1346978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:47:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stallingborough

National Grid Reference: TA 19506 11837

Details

STALLINGBOROUGH CHURCH LANE TA 11 SE (west end) 4/12

Church of St Peter and St Paul

04.01.67 GV

II*

Parish church. 1779-81. Interior restorations of 1874 included removal of gallery, reseating, creation of quasi-chancel; roof repaired and reslated 1884; ashlar window surrounds and glazing of 1908; chancel restored 1911; chancel screen of 1922, vestry of 1926. Orange-brown brick, in Flemish bond to tower and south and west sides of nave/chancel, in English bond to north and east sides; limestone ashlar dressings, with sections of ironstone ashlar to plinth on north and east sides of nave/chancel. Welsh slate roofs. West tower with west entrance, 4-bay nave/chancel. Tall ashlar plinth with cyma recta moulding. Brick quoins. 3-stage tower with 2-course brick bands between stages. Round-headed doorway with plastered surround and keyed archivolt, double board doors with ornate wrought-iron strap hinges. Second stage: circular openings in raised ashlar surrounds, containing boarded window to west, recessed panels to north and south. Round-headed belfry windows with pilastered surrounds, bracketed sills, keyed archivolts and wooden louvres. Quoins to tower form rusticated angle pilasters carrying plain brick frieze with ashlar eaves cornice. Pyramidal roof with original finial and weather-vane. Nave/chancel: round-headed windows to south and east in C20 quoined ashlar surround with moulded imposts and keyed archivolts, brick aprons and C20 diamond-pane leaded windows in hollow-chamfered reveals; north side has similar blind openings but in original brick surrounds with ashlar sills, imposts and keystones. Stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice with moulded ashlar cornice and blocking course above. West end of nave has 2-course brick band continued from first stage of tower.

INTERIOR. Round-headed doorway from tower to nave; nave open to chancel. Modillioned cornice, 8-bay ceiled roof with exposed chamfered beams; inserted C19 posts and moulded brackets forming chancel "arch". Original flagstone floor with black marble insets to nave, C19 polychrome tiled floor to chancel. Oak chancel screen in Classical style with Ionic pilasters and dentilled pediment; door to vestry with eared architrave and entablature. Stained glass east window of 1897. Brass to Sir William Ascough (d1541) and his wife: figures of Knight and Lady approximately 0.45 metres high in costumes emblazoned with heraldic devices inscribed scrolls issuing from mouths, inscribed plate below, and small indent for missing brass above. Alabaster and ashlar chest tomb to Sir Edward Ayscough (d1612) and wife Esther: effigy of Knight in armour lying on rolled mat, with head on tasselled cushion, coat of arms at head and helmet at feet, beside effigy of Lady lying on her side propped up on her elbow, on chest with angle pilasters carved with trophies, inscribed black marble frieze, and miniature figures of 5 male and 6 female children kneeling alongside. Early C17 alabaster and marble wall monument to Sir Edward Ayscough, erected by his son Sir Francis: inscribed tablet in pilastered surround with strapwork supports, inscribed frieze and cornice, carrying a bust with both arms, the head resting on one hand, the other holding a baton (missing at time of resurvey), in a round-arched niche with rosette ornament to soffit and relief panel to rear with trophies, beneath inscribed frieze and moulded cornice supporting oval relief tablet with arms and crest. Octagonal font with plain moulded bowl and base on square pedestal, reset in 1872. Natte's drawings show oculi to the tower. The plinth probably incorporates ashlar from the previous church which collapsed in 1746. Drawings by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 377, plate 44.

Listing NGR: TA1950611837

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164433

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 377

End of official listing