Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347022.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:32:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 68497 22965


RAWCLIFFE HIGH STREET SE 62 SE (south side) 3/27 Church of St James GV II Parish church. 1842 by W Hurst and W B Moffatt of Doncaster, with chancel and vestry of 1910. Early section in grey brick with sandstone ashlar dressings and spire, slate roof; additions in red brick with limestone ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style. West tower with north and south doors, 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel with south chapel, north organ chamber and vestry adjoining north side. Chamfered ashlar plinth to tower and nave. 2-stage tower: angle buttresses with offsets, triple-chamfered doors with hoodmoulds and carved angel stops, and pointed niches above with hoodmould, angel stops and figure of Christ on corbelled base; west lancet with sill string course, hoodmould and headstops; clockfaces in cusped ashlar surrounds to north, south and west. Weathered string course to belfry with recessed panels containing triple lancet belfry openings below corbel table. Octagonal broach spire with finial and weather-vane. Nave: buttresses at angles and between bays, sill string course, triple stepped lancets with hoodmoulds and headstops, moulded string course, coped gables with carved head kneelers to west end. Chancel: moulded plinth, angle buttresses, flush ashlar bands at sill and impost level, pointed and square-headed 2-light traceried north and south windows, and pointed 5-light east window, with hoodmoulds; pointed west door, square- headed and pointed windows to vestry; moulded lead rainwater heads, coped gable and parapets. Interior. Tower has pointed chamfered door to nave, moulded plaster cornice and ceiling, inscribed board bearing details of 1842 rebuilding. Wide nave, open to chancel, organ chamber and south chapel, has west gallery with Gothic-panelled front carried on cast-iron quatrefoiled columns; pointed double-chamfered tower arch above. Complete set of box pews, incorporating pedestals of former cast-iron columns for north and south galleries. 8-bay roof with queen struts and cusped panels, ceiled- over at collar level. Chancel: single pointed moulded arches to north and south on filleted and keeled piers and responds, with springers to west for incompleted nave aisles; Tudor-arched north and south doors, cinquefoiled piscina with carved spandrels; 3-bay boarded arch-braced roof with painted inscription and decoration. C19 octagonal font with quatrefoiled and traceried panels. Octagonal wooden pulpit with traceried panels, moulded base and staircase with wreathed handrail and turned balusters. Oval marble wall tablet in south aisle to Ann Peacock of 1801; marble bust in south chapel of Ralph Creyke of 1859 by M Noble of London. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 399.

Listing NGR: SE6849722965


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding, (1959), 399


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/05016/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur B. Bellwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].