CHURCH OF ST DAVID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1347054
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DAVID, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DAVID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347054.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:46:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DAVID, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Airmyn
National Grid Reference:
SE 72580 25161

Details

AIRMYN HIGH STREET SE 72 NW (east side, off) 1/3 Church of St David 14.2.67 GV II Parish church. Nave dated on tablet to 1676; alterations of 1858 included re-roofing, new bellcote and west porch; chancel and organ chamber of 1884. Red brick with ashlar dressings; rendered plinth to nave. Westmorland slate roof. 2-bay nave with west porch, vestry adjoining north side, single-bay chancel with organ chamber adjoining south side. Original moulded brick plinth to nave now largely obscured by concrete render; later plinth to vestry. Nave, south side: 3 windows with C19 wooden Y-tracery, blocked Tudor-arched door to right, C19 corbelled ashlar cornice; 2 north windows, re-opened in C19. West side has single lancets flanking porch, 2-course brick band at eaves level, projecting central section with carved ashlar tablet bearing date and arms of Smithsons of Stanwick, stone-coped gable with shaped kneelers, bellcote with pair of pointed bell openings and pierced quatrefoil beneath pointed arch and coped gable with pinnacle. Single-storey porch has south entrance with 2-fold Gothic-panelled door, 2- light Y-traceried west window beneath stone-coped gable. Vestry: similar door to west and window to north beneath stone-coped gable. All openings to nave, porch and vestry have Tudor arches and brick surrounds. Ashlar trefoiled lancet to chancel and organ chamber; re-set pointed 3-light ashlar traceried east window of 1857. Interior. Pointed chancel arch with roll- mouldings on twin-shafted responds with foliate capitals; open roofs to nave and chancel with trusses on moulded ashlar corbels. Monuments: white marble floor slab at east end of nave to Samuel and Betty Birt of c1773; wall tablets in nave to Judith Fisher of 1773, to Rev John Umpleby of c1839 with inscribed sarcophagus, to Sarah and Octavia Umpleby with tablet bearing miniature sarcophagus, to Peter Wells of 1845 with tablet bearing broken columns, to William Wells of 1854 with pilastered surround and moulded pediment; wall tablets in chancel to William Wells of c1825 with draped urn, to Louisa Anne Wells of 1848 with carved cornice and relief panel with dove. Stained glass to nave and chancel north and south windows by Powell Brothers of Leeds 1896-1902. Painted Royal Arms over west door. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1959, p 74. D Galloway, Airmyn in Days Gone By, Vol 2, 1985, pp 3-8.

Listing NGR: SE7258025161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164859
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Galloway, D, Airmyn in Days Gone By, (1985), 3-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding, (1959), 74

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02439/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].