Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347337.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:43:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 29236 33546


TL 23 SE WALLINGTON THE STREET (North west side) 6/150 Church of 27.5.68 St. Mary


Parish church. Nave possibly C14. N aisle and chapel, W tower and nave windows all early to mid C15. S porch late C15. Chancel rebuilt 1864 by Rev. G.R.Tuck. Restored 1913-20 by G.Lucas. Flint rubble, split flint chancel, stone dressings. Lead roof to nave, slate roofed chancel and S porch. 3 bay nave: 2 large 3 light windows under 4 centred arches on S wall flanking porch; cinquefoiled head to left. 2 light low side window with square head to right. S wall of chancel has single 3 light window and pointed arch entrance to right both with foliate stops to labels. 5 light traceried E window with mask stops. 2 stage angle buttresses to chancel. Steeper pitch to lower chancel roof. Continuous 5 bay N aisle and chapel with large 4 centred arched headed 3 light cinquefoiled windows. 4 centred arch entrance under a square head below a smaller window in 2nd bay from right. End diagonal buttresses with straight buttresses articulating bays. E chapel and W aisle windows have 3 lights with rectilinear tracery under a 4 centred arch. Corner gargoyles at cornice level and in gable above E chapel window. Embattled parapet survives only on west wall of N aisle. W tower of 3 stages with diagonal 2 stage buttresses. W window in lower stage has 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil above. Narrow window in 2nd stage on S side. Four 2 light bell chamber windows with damaged stone surrounds. Outer entrance to S porch: shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases to arched inner order set in outer order with moulded square head, pierced spandrels. 3 light windows to E and W. Inner entrance: 2 centred arch with moulded chamfered reveals with label. Original porch roof with cambered beams. Remains of stoup in NE corner. Interior: 2 centred tower arch of 3 orders, capitals and bases to semi-octagonal responds. Door to bell chamber stairs in SW corner of tower. C15 nave roof with hollow chamfered tie beams. Rood stair in NE angle of nave with openings at ground and loft levels. 2 centred chancel arch of 1864, heavily moulded with stiff leaf capitals. Ceiled chancel roof braced on carved corbels. 4 centred arch of mid C15 from chancel to N chapel. 2 wave moulded orders, inner resting on shafts with moulded bases and bell capitals. A stone carved angel corbel in NE corner of chapel. Remains of a C15 piscina on a semi-octagonal moulded pedestal in NW corner of chapel. N arcade between nave and aisle has pointed arches of 2 moulded orders similar to chapel arch. Each pier has 4 attached semi-circular shafts, larger longitudinally, with moulded capitals and bases. N aisle roof has original moulded principals alternately braced onto wall corbels and carrying 4 timber carved angels. Foliate bosses at intersection of purlin and principals. Most of nave and aisle seating is C15 benches. C12 Purbeck marble octagonal font bowl with shallow pointed arches. C15 panelled screen between N chapel and N aisle. Open upper panels. All panels traceried, crocketed 4 centred head over door. Altar tomb to John Prysot below E window on N wall: panels of figures in crocketed ogee canopies alternating with shields bearing arms of Piggot and Prysot recessed in cinquefoil arches. Left return has 2 panels and one niche figure, a shield and Pelican in her Piety. Slab has traces of indentation. One bay to W a tomb with plain C20 base and slab with indents for 2 figures, children, shields and Trinity. Slab tomb in N chapel floor to Thomas Bowles,d.1740. Slab tomb in nave floor to Richard Blow, d.1698.Window above John Prysot's tomb has glass of c.1450 with arms of Piggot and Prysot flanking Saints including St. Catherine. E window glass by Messrs. Clayton and Bell, late C19. (VCH 1923. Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL2923633546


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09311/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].