CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1347414
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:42:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston
National Grid Reference:
TL 26588 29952

Details

WESTON CHURCH LANE TL 22 NE (West side) Church End

5/84 Church of The Holy Trinity 27.5.68 (C of E)

GV I

Parish church. C12 as a cruciform church with crossing tower, apsidal transept chapels and presumably an apsidal chancel; C15 S aisle, S porch, clearstory, new windows, and S transept rebuilt as part of S aisle; chancel rebuilt 1840 by Thomas Smith for Rev. Benjamin Donne. Restoration 1867 with new upper part of tower omitting former tall lead covered spire; vestry added 1880. Flint rubble, the nave, S aisle and porch roughcast with limestone and clunch dressings, tower faced in uncoursed flint pebbles, N transept of coursed tuffa and field flints with squared limestone quoins and window dressings, red brick chancel formerly all stuccoed now only with stucco dressings, ornamental red brick vestry. Slated roofs. Consists of a square ended Neo-Norman chancel, tall crenelated crossing tower, north transept, tall nave, S aisle, S porch, and NE vestry. The chancel on the same floor level as the crossing has a steep pitched 3-bays, arched-braced, hammer-beam open timber roof on the pattern of the Inns of Court with early Renaissance style carved pendants and stone corbels. Elaborate patterned tile floor with encaustic tile roundels. 2 round-headed windows to each side with mid C19 stained glass, stone bullseye window over round-headed S door in middle bay. Round-headed chamfered N door to vestry opposite with wall monument above to John Fairclough, d.1630, with Latin inscription, in form of a marble aedicule with panelled pilasters and broken pediment with stepped armorial cartouches. Stone E window of 3 lancets with stained glass by Messrs Powell. The central tower (13½ft square) is narrower than the chancel or nave and is carried on 4 unmoulded Norman crossing arches on axe-dressed ashlar piers with chamfered plinths and deep impost bands of unusual form, deeply moulded and divided into upper and lower parts: the abaci of the 2 eastern piers decorated: the NE pier with billet bands: the SE with plain scallops to chancel arch but with alternate plain and beaded crescents to former S transeptal arch. The upper part of the tower is rebuilt with a slit window on each face to middle stage, external offset to narrower top stage with large 2-lights blunt-pointed belfry opening with central mullion and cusped tracery in the head in each face. Corbelled battlemented parapet. External door to spiral stair in NE angle carried higher in a crenelated octagonal turret with vane on top. Clock face set in W belfry opening. Tall narrow steep-roofed Norman N transept with thick walls, round headed C12 small window with deep internal splays central in N and W walls and wide round-arched recess in E wall formerly the arch into an apse. 2 tie-beams carry convex-curved queen-posts supporting boarded ceiling of half octagonal rafter roof. Lofty wide nave with low-pitched roof. C15 grotesque stone corbels support wallposts, braces and tie-beams of 3 bays roof. Sub-principals, principals, and moulded longitudinal members intersect in large carved painted floral bosses. Floor of chequered black and red tiles. Windows set unusually high. 2 Perp windows in N wall, 3-lights near E end, 2-lights over blocked N door. Pointed segmental heads with tracery. Small Neo-Norman wall monument between to Hannah Pryor, d.1850 in form of an aedicule. 3 square-headed clearstory openings over S arcade now open into S aisle. 3 bays arcade with 2-centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders with hollows between. Octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. Octagonal oak pulpit with open arcading on an octagonal moulded base moved here in 1840 from the Church of St. Mary the Less, Cambridge, where it is said to have been used by Jeremy Taylor. On RH of E crossing arch a large copper repousee war memorial tablet. N doorway visible externally between buttresses. C15 2-centred arched head with drip and 2 hollow chamfered orders. Boarding infill. Stone plinth to nave and diagonal buttress at W. 3-lights similar C15 W window. Perp S aisle has 6-bays C19 timber roof on tortured grotesque carved stone corbels. C15 E window of 3-lights with tracery, and 3 2-lights windows in S wall, similar to nave windows with cinquefoil lights, segmental pointed heads, and tracery with central mullion, C15 piscina near E end with wide hollow chamfered, 2-centred head and projecting canted moulded base with cinquefoil drain. The E part of the aisle wider where it incorporates former S transept. Font at W end of aisle C15, with octagonal bowl, each face a square sunk panel with quatrefoil and central fleuron. Multiple mouldings to corbel stage over octagonal trefoil-panelled octagonal shaft and to wide octagonal base. The C15 S doorway has a 2-centred arch with drip and moulded chamfer, ogee-roll-ogee. Wide, tall porch with stone benches each side. Pointed segmental rear-arches to 2-lights cinquefoil window on each side, with sunk spandrels. Flat ceiling with heavy moulded ribs forming 4 panels with heavy painted bosses at corners and intersections. Outer arch of 2 orders similar to S door but half-octagonal jamb shafts and moulded caps to inner order. Doors inserted in arch in C20. Gabled small N vestry has gauged and moulded red brickwork designed to be left exposed. Set back corner buttresses unlike the earlier chancel originally stuccoed. (RCHM (1911)237: VCH (1912)175-6: Kelly (1914)290: Pevsner (1977)402: Jean Le Roux Weston Parish Church: men and mortar n.d. [c.1978] guide available at church).

Listing NGR: TL2658829952

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162696
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 175-6
Le Roux, J, Weston Parish Church Men and Mortar, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 290
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3837
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09309/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ted Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].