The Balloon Stone (Lunardi Monument)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1347511
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
The Balloon Stone (Lunardi Monument), Standon Green End

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Balloon Stone (Lunardi Monument)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 10:03:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Balloon Stone (Lunardi Monument), Standon Green End

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Thundridge
National Grid Reference:
TL 36419 19792

Details

This list entry has been subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/11/2018 TL 31 NE 4/6

STANDON STANDON GREEN END (south side) The Balloon Stone (Lunardi Monument)

(Formerly listed as Monument at Standon Green End)

24.1.67 II Monument. Circa 1784. Erected for Wm Baker of Bayfordbury to commemorate the hydrogen balloon flight by Vincent Lunardi on 15 September 1784. Inscribed plate renewed 1875 for Mr Giles Puller of Youngsbury. A large ice worn sandstone boulder worked to a vertical corner at south east, about 1.5m high and 1.5m maximum width at base, with a triangular engraved copper plate with a hinged copper cover-plate on the levelled apex of the stone. Small rectangular copper plate on sloping south west side recording renewal of top-plate. Protected by a penannular cast iron railing of moulded standards and two horizontal plain bars. Inscription: 'Let posterity know, and knowing be astonished, that on the 15th day of September 1784 Vincent Lunardi of Lucca in Tuscany, the first aerial traveller in Britain, mounting from the artillery ground in London and traversing the regions of the air for two hours and fifteen minutes, in this spot revisited the earth.'

Listing NGR: TL3641919792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161161
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].