Parish Church of St Etheldreda


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St Etheldreda, Fore Street


Ordnance survey map of Parish Church of St Etheldreda
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348124.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:55:48.


Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St Etheldreda, Fore Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 23505 08488


TL 2308 15/99

HATFIELD FORE STREET (south side) Parish Church of St Etheldreda


GV I Church. C13 and C15. Some work of early C17. 1872 rebuilt exterior by David Brandon. Flint walls with stone dressings. Ashlar north east chapel. Cruciform plan with north and south chancel chapels, transepts with western chapels, north and south porches and west tower.

Tower is four stages with setback buttresses, a broad west door with quatrefoil decoration in the spandrels and a four-light west window. Windows of nave and chancel are Decorated style.

Interior has aisleless nave with waggon roof. Narrow west arch with deeply moulded jambs. Panelled chancel roof. North east chancel chapel (The Salisbury Chapel) by Francis Carter for William, second Earl of Salisbury, as mortuary chapel for his father. Perpendicular style windows. Three-bay arcade to chancel with Tuscan columns of Shap granite.

Interior redecorated in 1871 by third Marquess of Salisbury: mosaic walls with Alabaster arcade of trefoiled arches. Painted panelled ceiling. West and south wrought iron gates of early C18 Flemish work. Monument in centre to Robert Cecil, first Earl of Salisbury d.1612. Sculptures of Earl and supporting female figures by Maximilian Colt. Also in chapel C13 floor effigy of knight, and effigy of William Curll by Nicholas Stone, 1617. C15 south easr chancel chapel (The Brocket Chapel) has large marble standing wall monument to Sir James Read by Michael Rysbrack, 1765, 1598 wall monument to Sir John Brocket and tomb of 2nd Viscount Melbourne (d.1848). Tie beam roof with head stops. C13 arch to south west transept chapel. Good later C19 glass: south transept window by Burne Jones, 1894; chancel east window and north east chapel window by Clayton and Bell, c.1870-2. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2350508488


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13417/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Bernie Graham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].