Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE PALACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:32:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 23578 08460


Old Hatfield TL 2308 HATFIELD HATFIELD PARK (west side)

15/144 The Palace



Formerly Palace of the Bishops of Ely, built by John Morton about 1480. Given to Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, in exchange for Theobalds Palace in 1607, and partly demolished, leaving this the east side of a former quadrangular block, and the gate lodge on the west (q.v.). From 1628 until the C20 it was the stables to Hatfield House. Now a hall for entertainments. Red brick with diaper patterning. Much early-mid C19 restoration. 2 storeys and attics. East and west elevations are both 20 windows. 1-window square projecting towers in centre of both sides, rising to apex of plain tile roof. 5 windows each side and 2-window gabled end bays. Mostly 2-light windows under hoodmoulds. C19 stepped buttresses. Towers have ground floor porches with 4-centred arches. Single light casements on 1st and 2nd floors above these. Both towers have burnt-header patterned brick work which is mainly C19 restoration. Parapets on brick corbel tables. N end of range has coach entrance with cambered brick tunnel arch.

Dais of hall was at S end of present all. Kitchens and offices were in the N half of the range. The roof of the hall is a splendid specimen of late medieval timber construction, with principals resting on carved stone corbels, the arched braces moulded, the collar-beams cross-trussed, and with ogee-shaped wind braces in two tiers between the principals. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2357808460


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/04270/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnopp. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]