Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348234.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 05:16:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Three Rivers (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD SHIRE LANE (Southeast side) Chorleywood

5/107 The Orchard 16.7.75


House. 1899-1900 by C.F.A. Voysey for himself, altered 1913. Roughcast brick, stone and tile dressings. Green slate roof. Arts and Crafts Style. A simple rectangle on plan with the roof hipped over 2 gabled cross wings at ends. 2 storeys and attics. Slate paving up to entrance at right end of central range between cross wings. Round arch to recessed porch. Original door with wrought iron strap hinges ending in heart shapes, heart shaped letter box. Mullioned windows with stone surrounds, leaded lights. To left of entrance 3 lights with 4 lights above on first floor. Continuous tile dripmould over ground floor. Deep boxed eaves to centre with moulded guttering. Right cross wing has a ground floor projecting flat topped rectangular bay added 1913, ashlar on roughcast base, 4 lights with 2 light returns, 4 lights on first floor. Left cross wing has ground floor 4 and 3 lights, first floor 4 and 1 lights. Triple ventilation slits in both attics. Moulded trim to gables. Outer slope to left swept down over 1 storey outshut. At end is an inscribed slab with name of the house in lettering designed by Voysey. Large roughcast axial stack with a tile coped triangulated cap and terracotta pots to left of centre. Similar stacks on outer slopes of cross wings. Garden front: garden door at right end of central range, original door with top lights, cellar windows, small windows above, 4 lights on ground floor, 2 and 3 lights on first floor, boxed eaves as at front. Each cross wing has a 4 light window on each floor. Continuous tile drip mould over ground floor and over first floor in wings, triple ventilation slits in gables with moulded trim. Outshut to right with 1 and 2 light windows. Battered buttress at left end. Right return from front: 2 circular windows with tile drip moulds. A 3 light flat topped dormer towards front with a moulded head. Left return from front: original glazed kitchen door with moulded heads. Moulded boxed eaves. Interior: slate paved hall with tiled fireplace and staircase enclosed by simple vertical slats, elsewhere tiled and cast iron chimneypieces, low picture rails, wrought iron hinges and knobs to doors. (Pevsner 1977: J. Brandon-Jones et al.: C.F.A. Voysey, 1978: D. Simpson: C.F.A. Voysey, 1979).

Listing NGR: TQ0193795707


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Jones, J, CFA Voysey Architect and Designer 1857-1941, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Simpson, D, CFA Voysey: An Architect of Individuality, (1979)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10665/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Artes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].