This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1348459



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Flamstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FLAMSTEAD HIGH STREET TL 0714 (North side) 9/20 Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7 (Saunders Almshouses) (Formerly listed 22.10.52 as Saunder's Almshouses) II* GV

Block of 4 almshouses. Stone plaque in middle of front engraved 'AnoDm/ 1669". For Thomas Saunders of Beechwood. Reconditioned 1952, with outshut set back at rear rebuilt. Narrow dark red brick in an unusually early use of Flemish-bond. Steep old red tile roof. A long single-storey block of 2 handed pairs of almshouses facing S. 2 large shared internal chimneys symmetrically placed on ridge each with 2 conjoined lozenge shaped diagonal shafts with corbelled caps. Moulded brick gable parapets with square piers topped by ball finials at each apex and above each corbelled brick kneeler. 4 windows S front with 2 pairs of round arched chamfered brick doorways opposite the chimneys. Recessed square-headed 2-light windows with chamfered brick jambs and mullions (formerly plastered to represent stone) and leaded glazing in metal frames (renewed), oak plank doors. Excellent brickwork with bull-nose plinth and brick eaves cornice with frieze. Moulded brick corbels to gable kneelers, 2 large rectangles of stone over the western pair of doors may have had armorial bearings. Stone set immediately under central datestone may have inscription now illegible. Each single-cell house was for a poor married couple. Entrance at jamb of fireplace. Beam runs from front to back. Flat-roofed continuous rear outshut in red brick. (VCH (1908)193: RCHM (1911)89: Kelly (1914)101: Pevsner (1977)143: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0783314611

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 193
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 143
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1914), 101

National Grid Reference: TL 07833 14611


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348459 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 04:12:27.

End of official listing