CHURCH OF ST FAITH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1348887
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, B 4348

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST FAITH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1348887.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:48:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FAITH, B 4348

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dorstone
National Grid Reference:
SO 31460 41797

Details

SO 34 SW DORSTONE CP B 4348 (south side) Dorstone

6/128 Church of St Faith

26/1/67 GV II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1826 and 1889 embodying fragments of the medieval church. Coursed rubble, tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north chapel. All medieval features are more or less restored, West tower: pyramidal roof, 3 stages, plain parapet, angle buttresses, lean-to stair turret at south-east corner; second stage blind; first stage has square headed single lights to north and south walls, quatrefoil window to west; ground floor, west wall: 2 trefoiled lights. Nave: south wall: two 2- trefoiled light windows with quatrefoils above, under 2-centred heads, to west of which timber south porch, south door: early C14 of 2 orders, 2-centred head; north wall: 3 similar windows. Chancel: south wall: 2 windows with 2 trefoiled lights; east window: 4 trefoiled lights under centred head; north chapel: door to left, 2 trefoiled light window to right; west wall: C13 lancet. Interior: chancel: 2 pointed arches to north chapel, containing organ; in north chapel an early C14 piscina with trefoiled ogee head; in south wall of chancel a C13 piscina with arch of 2 orders, inner a sub- cusped cinquefoil, at back of recess bracket with dog tooth ornament; chancel arch of 2 moulded orders with stopped label; tower arch, early C14 of tufa, 2-centred, 2 chamfered orders, inner order dying into the responds; lancet above. Roofs: nave: rafter roof with collar braced from below, the braces intersecting above the collar in scissors, canted ashlar pieces; chancel: ribbed barrel vault in timber. Fittings: late C19 pulpit of lime- stone and red marble with statues of the 4 evangelists. Stoup, possibly C14, beside south door. Font: c1300 octagonal shaft and base, C19 bowl. Loose in chancel two pieces of an inscribed stone sill, probably dated 1266. (RCHM 1, pp 55-57; BoE, p 116).

Listing NGR: SO3146041797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153749
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 55-57
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 116

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09258/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. Brian Bentley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].