CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349232
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349232.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:37:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Hanley Castle
National Grid Reference:
SO 83883 41944

Details

HANLEY CASTLE CP CHURCH END SO 84 SW 3/131 Church of St Mary 25.3.68 GV II*

Church. Early C14 and 1674. Restored 1858 by Street. Sandstone rubble and limestone with tower, chancel, and north chancel aisle of brick, and tile roof. Comprises a nave, north aisle, tower between nave and chancel, north chancel aisle and north and south porches. The west windows of the nave and aisle are both of three lights with tracery replaced in the C19. The south wall of the nave has a window of two trefoiled ogee lights to the west of the porch. To the east are two windows, each of two trefoiled lights, restored in the C19. The C19 porch is gabled and has a moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts and foliated capitals. The inner doorway is partly C12, with round arch, and angle shafts with cushion capitals. The north wall of the aisle has two windows to the east of the porch and one to the west. They are of two lights with cusped Y-tracery. The two eastern ones are restored. The doorway is pointed and of two wave-moulded orders with angle shafts. The porch is C19, of open timber on a stone base. The north chancel aisle has two square-headed windows, each of three lights with transom and with foiled heads to all the lights. Between the windows is a moulded square-headed doorway and a lozenge panel dated "1674". The east window of the aisle is of three lights with transom, with depressed ogee heads to the upper lights and with panel tracery above. The east window of the chancel is a C19 replacement, of three lights with pointed head. The south window is similar. The tower is of brick with sandstone dressings and has a stair turret at its south-west corner. Behind an embattled parapet is a low hipped roof. The bell openings are of two lights with flat head. Interior: four-bay arcade of pointed arches chamfered in two orders springing from alternate round and octagonal piers with moulded capitals. To the east of the eastern arch the wall is pierced by an opening with a trefoiled head. Over the nave is a collar rafter-roof with curved soulaces. The west, east, and north tower arches are pointed and chamfered in two orders with moulded capitals to the responds. The arch between the chancel and the north chancel aisle is similar. The piscina is C19 and moulded. The font is C14 and has a moulded octagonal limestone bowl and is carved with quatrefoil and flower decoration. The communion rails in the north chancel aisle are early C18 with alternate turned and twisted balusters. Memorials include a wall tablet in the north chancel aisle to Mrs Winifred Lechmere, which includes a small kneeling figure, and an alabaster tablet on the south nave wall in memory of Rev A B Lechmere which includes a scene rendered in graffito.

Listing NGR: SO8388241940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153272
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02411/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Pagett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].