CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349517.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:19:28.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 37472 50925
SO 35 SE; 2/90
SARNESFIELD CP, Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Restored c1870 and 1907. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings with stone slate roofs. West tower; nave with south aisle and south porch; chancel with south chapel.
Tower has three stages above deep battered plinth and pyramidal roof with large weathercock. West elevation has a pair of lancets with roundel between apices on ground stage. Round-headed loop to first stage and square-headed opening to top stage within which is a subsidiary oak trefoiled head. North, south and east faces have similar upper openings to west elevation except that of east face has scars of higher nave roof. North elevation of nave has central three trefoiled and ogee-headed lights under a square head. Chancel has a diagonal buttress to the north-east corner. East window is restored. Two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery. South chapel has similar east window to that of chancel but with smaller lights. Diagonal buttress to south- east corner. South elevation has two pairs of C19 lancets each with a quatrefoil above and red voussoirs. Gable has loop and red and grey sandstone band at eaves level. To the lower right-hand side is a re-set stone with incised chevrons. South aisle has sandstone plinth and C19 roof of two bays with cusped and cambered ties forming trefoils with principals. Ties supported by curved braces. Intermediate collar truss rests on arch braces. Cusped bargeboards and lower range of wind braces. Restored side panels in form of lancets above brick-filled lower panels. South doorway has two-centred head and ledged oak C19 door with strap hinges.
INTERIOR has restored chancel roof with collar and tie-beam trusses and lower wind braces. South chapel roof has wind braces with raking struts behind south gable. Nave roof has four trusses with curved struts from ties to principals: Intermediate trusses have collars supported on arch braces. Cusped wind braces forming trefoil-headed patterns. Chancel has piscina in east wall with chamfered two-centred head. On north wall is grey and white marble monument for Bridget Monington died 1775. Black oval plaque with garland beneath cornice and urn. Apron with laurel wreath. East window depicting St George is memorial for the three men of the parish who fell in World War I. Six-branch brass candelabrum, possibly C18. Chancel arch is C15 almost round, double chamfered with moulded capitals. South chapel is divided from chancel by early C20 octagonal pier supporting two arches without responds. The chapel is further separated from south aisle by a two-centred arch, probably C15. Several floor slabs, late C17 to late C18, for Monington and Benington families. Two tapered slabs with cross-heads, probably C13 or C14. Fragments of medieval glass in east window include figures and angels. Oak chest, probably C16, has four linenfold panels to front and two to sides with four plain panels to lid. On east wall First World War marker cross, for 2nd Lt A Marshall, killed in action 1917. Nave has late C12 arcade to south aisle. Double chamfered two-centred arches on round piers with square bases and scalloped capitals. Tower arch is two-centred and of two orders, the outer chamfered and the inner moulded. Above the tower arch is a round-headed, deeply recessed arch. Font has restored or C19 octagonal bowl chamfered on underside. Square stem with central attached shaft to each side, probably C14. Round base is C14. Small oak C17 table with bobbin balusters and stretcher and C19 or C20 top Cl8 Monington hatchment inscribed "IN CAELO QUIES". Oak harmonium, late C19 by Estey Organ Co, Brattleboro, Vt, USA, with fluted candlesticks.
Listing NGR: SO3747150925
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 177-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 286
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing